VST Baskets, Dosing and Tolerances

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Virtual_Xi

#1: Post by Virtual_Xi »

Hi All,

I've been looking at VST baskets and was quite intrigued at their option for a 15g size. Can anyone comment on how much coffee you actually need to dose to cause a nice flat distribution? Right now, I'm using the double 14g basket that came with my Izzo, and if I dose to 18g, I have a surface level with the lip of my basket. I have really preferred that 15-16.5 gram dose in terms of taste, but get much much better results from 18g due to ease of distribution. From what i've read, VST's tolerances are supposedly less than an average basket for up/down dosing. Much Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

There's a study posted.

The VST15 basket needs about 16.5 grams to flow the same for the same grind as 14 grams in a Faema. This dose also fills up the basket pretty well. So it will give you a much more extracted shot than using the Faema basket at 18 grams.

These baskets are less fault tolerant than normal baskets; but since they use more coffee for the same grind, they are useful for people who dislike weighing and just fill up and level their baskets.
Jim Schulman