Volvic water hardness

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
monalude

#1: Post by monalude »

I have been looking into a water softening system for my ECM Giotto. In the meantime I decided to just use volvic bottled water in the machine. Recently I wanted to test my home water as well as the Volvic bottled water.

From the strip it looks like my tap water was 120PPM
When I tested the Volvic from a bottle it came in just lower at 80-100 from the color on the strip. Does that make sense ..I thought the Volvic bottled water would not cause scale so I am assuming the hardness in PPM should be very low...
Am I mistaken or is there more to the Volvic waters makeup that makes it low or non scaling. I have skimmed through Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ but if anyone can help me out that would be great...

Thanks

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

You might do just as well mixing your tap with some distilled water. I use 2 parts distilled to 1 part tap to yield a hardness of about 45 ppm or so.
Scott
LMWDP #248

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

When I wrote the FAQ, Volvic was quoting around 75 mg/L hardness. As Scott says, there are less expensive solutions.
Jim Schulman

misterdoggy

#4: Post by misterdoggy »

Doesn't volvic have other minerals which can also affect not including Calcium ?? I mean it is Mineral Water.

I too have thought it might be a solution. My tap water is 179 and am thinking about using Brita for softening

DigMe

#5: Post by DigMe »

I recently found some water hardness test strips on clearance at Wal-Mart for $5.00 so I bought a set. According to the test strip the Ozarka bottled water that I'm using from Moffit Springs is 50ppm - just about perfect from what I've read. This is not nearly as expensive as Volvic and comes in 1 gallon bottles at my grocery store for about a dollar per gallon. I encourage you to look at and possibly test the one-gallon offerings at your local supermarket. You might be surprised at both the good taste and the hardness level.

brad