Turning an espresso machine on with your smart phone.... does it exist?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

Has anyone installed a "smart" outlet or surge protector that lets you turn outlets on/off via wifi? A straight timer doesn't work for me so being able to turn my machine on with my phone would be tremendously helpful. I'm not even sure if this exists....

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

My WeMo Insight does that for me. Works as a timer, but I can also turn it on or off from anywhere using a smartphone app via my home WiFi. Limited to 16 Amp though.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

SonVolt (original poster)

#3: Post by SonVolt (original poster) replying to homeburrero »

I was just reading up on the WeMo. I have a Profitec Pro 700 which runs on 15 amps. The WeMo maxes out at 1800W so it looks like it can handle the power. Have you been pleased with it?

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

So far I like it. Mostly use it as a simple timer. It has a power usage capability but I don't think it's very precise - I use the kill-a-watt when I want to look at that.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#5: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

My main want is the ability to power on the machine on my way home from work from my cell phone. I'm guessing the app has some means of doing so through your home wifi network? If so that sounds fantastic.

Bikeminded

#6: Post by Bikeminded »

Same here. Use a Wemo for my 700. Works great.

#7: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

I wonder if it works with a Verizon Mifi station... that's my source of high-speed internet. It uses 4G and has a built in router.

Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

Yes, it connects to your machine through your wifi network. I can also vouch for the WEMO. Works flawlessly and it's a treat to be able to just turn the machine on/off anywhere I am.
LMWDP #670

canuckcoffeeguy

#9: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Yes, I recommend a WeMo Insight Switch. You need a Wifi connection at home to connect it to.
http://m.belkin.com/us/F7C029/p/P-F7C029/
I use it with my Bezzera Magica. The WeMo's programmable timer is great. I have multiple rules set-up for different on/off schedules, depending on the day.

Or, control it remotely with the WeMo phone app, and turn it on/off manually while out of the house. Or, just let it follow the programmed schedule.

I has worked perfectly and is rated up to 1800 watts / 16A.

SpromoSapiens

#10: Post by SpromoSapiens »

FWIW I've used a basic Wemo for a window AC and a space heater. For whatever reason, it was very unreliable as a timer. Sometimes it went on but not off; sometimes not on at all. No idea why. Tried the automated "on at A-o'clock / off at B o'clock;" tried the "on at A o'clock / off after X minutes." Neither method worked consistently. I did buy the WeMo used, though. Anyway, manually turning things on and off from within the LAN always worked well. Never tried turning it on from afar.