Toothpaste aftertaste!

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
michaelbenis

#1: Post by michaelbenis »

I suspect that I'm not alone in not brushing my teeth before my first espresso of the day. After all, even if my mouth does feel like the bottom of a birdcage I want to enjoy that coffee to the full.

So that's easy. Coffee first, teeth later. :oops:

But I enjoy, nay need, several espressos over a stretch of just a couple of hours in the morning.

And if use the latest techno-wonder toothpastes that provide protection for hour after hour, my taste is ruined for at least an hour or so, unless I ate something (not fruit, which the fluoride also makes taste awful - can it really be that good for us? :shock: ).

So, what I do is use the wonder toothpaste before going to sleep and in the morning I use something more natural (no fluoride or other protective chemicals), which allows my taste buds to function properly again within a matter of minutes not hours.

One of my favourites for this is something called Sarakan, which also contains toothbrush tree (salvadora persica or miswak) extract. So it's supposed to be good for gum health too (according to the WHO amongst others).

Anyone got any other recommendations? Or confessions? :mrgreen:

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

noah

#2: Post by noah »

I've always wanted to do a toothpaste post, but felt a little too silly to actually do it. Thanks for takin' a hit for the team Michael!
LMWDP #263

Advertisement
RegulatorJohnson

#3: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

try peroxide a low %.
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

I use baking soda and peroxide, which doesn't leave the usual spearmint aftertaste; even the Arm and Hammer toothpaste of that name is quite low in flavorings, and the taste is gone after a peroxide rinse. But if I cup, I do it first thing in the morning, before brushing my teeth.
Jim Schulman

godlyone

#5: Post by godlyone »

I used to work in a health food store, and we carried a natural toothpaste

Tom's of Maine is the brand:

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste.aspx

I'm sure you can find it in a health food store nearby and it would be worth a try :)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I was going to warn against the Ginger flavored Tom's of Maine toothpaste, but from the website quoted, looks like it's no longer available.

I inherited a tube from my Mother who didn't like it and I didn't like it either (despite loving ginger). Just a strange flavor.

So, which flavor would be the least impacting on the taste buds?

This blog points to Desert Essence's Citrus Fresh flavor as being a good choice for wine tasters, but I haven't tried this brand. I usually buy name brand in bulk at Costco, but may take a look at alternatives like baking soda, etc.

-Chris
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

michaelbenis (original poster)

#7: Post by michaelbenis (original poster) »

I find the Tom's range all leave some soft of aftertaste

There's a Weleda sea salt and lemon one that doesn't but it's a bit abrasive for my liking

Is the peroxide recommended as a rinse solution to get rid of the aftertaste?

I find bicarbonate leaves an unpleasant numbing aftertaste and mouthfeel of its own

is the recommendation to use it in a solution or to brush it on (which wouldn't suit me at all! :-) )

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

Baking soda, either straight or in the toothpaste, reacts with peroxide, as any kid who's ever built a science fair volcano knows. In terms of brushing teeth, it means brushing on the baking soda paste, then putting maybe a tablespoon or two worth of peroxide in your mouth, then brushing wet. The resulting reaction will allow you to do a good imitation of horror movie rabies, will leave your mouth pleasantly oxygenated, and its anaerobic bacteria thoroughly dead.

The comparative offensiveness of the taste is your decision; for me, it's the least.
Jim Schulman

RegulatorJohnson

#9: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

word.

its not bad.. plus it tastes better than mint and espresso.
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

michaelbenis (original poster)

#10: Post by michaelbenis (original poster) »

Thanks Jim that's just what I needed!
LMWDP No. 237