Through Thick and Thin (Espresso cups)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

I didn't want to resurrect a 5 year old thread, so perhaps a few here might chime in.
I have the usual (small) collection of espresso cups, like the Intelly, a few generic, nothing real special. One thing they all have in common is they are on the thick end of the spectrum, and the traditional rounded shape.

I've been wanting more of a "tulip" or even more severe "Danish" style cup. I purchased such a cup from OE a few weeks ago.
I've always enjoyed shots at cafe's and the SCAA when served in these thinner, "V" shaped cups.

After several shots at a friend's home, switching between my thick, round cup and thinner one, I had to admit I much preferred the coffee when sipped through the thinner cup.
I believe it's due to both the shape AND wall thinness. Because there is more warmth at the lip edge of the cup, there is less "shock" when the espresso passes through my lips. But the biggie for me, is perhaps due to the shape, the crema extends completely to the bottom. No last black sip.

I welcome all thoughts. Enjoy the 'spro.

fishll

#2: Post by fishll »

I too have noticed crema lasting longer when the cup allows less surface area, especially with my bowl shaped 2oz cups. The last sip with them almost always has no crema, though with lavazza cups crema has much more longevity. Though I am a huge fan of heavy/chunky/thick walled cups, the smaller the better. The espresso cup, full or empty, has an amazing aesthetic.

the_trystero

#3: Post by the_trystero »

I've used quite a few espresso cups at this point and my faves are thick, fat, stubby one. My favorite easily being the OE Logo Espresso/Ristretto Cup. I stir my espresso before drinking so retaining crema isn't important to me and I don't like the feel of thin edges when I'm drinking anything but martinis.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

IMAWriter (original poster)

#4: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

So far, anything BUT a definitive decision here! :lol:
As it should be, I suppose.

SpromoSapiens

#5: Post by SpromoSapiens »

In yet another matter I must concur with Mr. Trystero; I, too, prefer the fatties. With such a wealth of fascinating cups to be found on the thrift circuit, I've run through a modest few, however the only brand new cups I've ever purchased for espresso have been the Sorrento Moka Browns sold by Sweet Maria's. They're thick, round & stubby, which is a preference I developed from all the coffee bars I've visited. I'm no longer sure which one specifically triggered the revelation of the preference, but it might have been Four Barrel. Regardless, I just love the way a bodacious espresso rolls over the smooth, wide, curved lip of a hearty cup; for me it enhances the enjoyment of the shot considerably. Heat retention is an added plus, but not the most important thing for me, as I also enjoy the different flavors that emerge during cooling. Crema retention isn't a thing I've associated with cup shape -- I'll have to think about that, although by and large I attribute crema longevity more to the bean & the shot than the vessel. I do test my cremas with a gentle swirl while enjoying, and I am mildly disappointed if it's gone before I'm done. But as these aren't competition shots, I'm not too great a shtickler about it.

A thin-walled cup might be okay for a fizzy drink, but anything intently nibbled (such as a bourbon or a 'spro) I find rather clumsy over too thin a wall. There's a temptation to slurp, I think, with a thin wall, whereas over a wider wall it's more of a sliding delivery of liquid. I spent a good while searching through the thrifts for a cup of adequate girth before finally breaking down and ordering some.

the_trystero

#6: Post by the_trystero »

SpromoSapiens wrote:A thin-walled cup might be okay for a fizzy drink, but anything intently nibbled (such as a bourbon or a 'spro) I find rather clumsy over too thin a wall. There's a temptation to slurp, I think, with a thin wall, whereas over a wider wall it's more of a sliding delivery of liquid. I spent a good while searching through the thrifts for a cup of adequate girth before finally breaking down and ordering some.
Wow, I'm so horrible at writing critiques, whether it be about espresso cups, photography, literature, whatever, but I tried to write something like that and gave up. That's pretty much what I was hoping to say.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

IMAWriter (original poster)

#7: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

SpromoSapiens wrote: Heat retention is an added plus, but not the most important thing for me, as I also enjoy the different flavors that emerge during cooling.
Interesting, for I've found my thin walled mugs seem to retain the heat of my vac pot coffee better than my uber thick mugs.
Same with my thin walled espresso cup., In recently pured an equal amount of a Turkish coffee In prepared into 2 of my espresso cups, a very thick walled round style, and the thin walled cup pictured.
I did 1/4 pours alternately till both were 2/3 full.
I let them sit 45 seconds to let the "silt" settle.
After the 45 seconds found the coffee in the thin walled cup a bit warmer. Not much, but definitely so.
The thick walled cup was the Intelly branded 2.5oz.

This proves really nothing, but I can ascertain that at least for my shots from an Alex Duetto, pulling my blend, which has 2 DP's and 1 wet process central, the crema was longer lasting and maintained all the way to the bottom.
Again, MY preference these days for the thin walled cup. I feel the thinner lip actually allows me to more freely sip, with less porcelain in the way.

Of course, I have an overbite the late Freddie Mercury would have envied. :lol:

john_ertw

#8: Post by john_ertw »

My guess is that the thin wall cups absorb less heat from the coffee than the thick wall cups. Even after preheating the cups, they are nowhere near 200F (or you wouldn't be able to hold or drink from them). Since the coffee is hotter than the cup, heat transfers to the cup. The thicker cups will absorb more heat effectively cooling the coffee. The benefit of the thicker cups is that they will loose this heat to the surrounding environment (air) slower, so if you took a long time to drink the espresso I would guess the thicker cup will be warmer.

SpromoSapiens

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Perhaps there are varying formulas of porcelain, or other differences in the ceramic itself?

TrlstanC

#10: Post by TrlstanC »

I've been eyeing these LINO cups for the same reason. They were designed for Intelli, I believe they sell them with their logo as well.