Third Wave Water

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Fausto

#1: Post by Fausto »

Couldn't find a topic on this (apologize if their's one out there) just got a sample pack of this stuff - enough for 10 gallons. Not sure why I got it as my tap water is pretty good. You mix a capsule with a gallon of RO or distilled water and it supposedly adds the right amounts of magnesium sulfate, calcium citrate, and sodium chloride to your water. This seems like the ideal solution for the serious home barista who doesn't want to turn into an amateur chemist or spend a ton of money on a complicated water setup.

Personally I've been rather intimidated by Jim's water guide, Coffee for Water, Perger's water recipe, and the SCAA's water guide. So if this is legitimately perfect or nearly perfect coffee water than I'm going to be a happy customer. An easy way to eliminate another variable. Discuss!

seakuv

#2: Post by seakuv »

I just looked at their website. It's interesting that they don't specify exactly what their product adds to the water and in what amounts. Does the product packaging show this information?

MikFlores300

#3: Post by MikFlores300 »

My experience so far has been with pourover coffee. Espresso tasting is coming soon. I've gone through 3 gallons so far with it, and I like it. I've taken a capsule with me on a trip and made for easy consistent water for coffee when not at home.
I haven't done a rigorous comparison yet, but so far I'm very pleased with the results. My cups are clean and bright.

Schalicto

#4: Post by Schalicto »

I've been using it on pour overs as well, and I'm planning on doing a blind taste test tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to do a blind test with espresso?

Fausto (original poster)

#5: Post by Fausto (original poster) »

seakuv wrote:I just looked at their website. It's interesting that they don't specify exactly what their product adds to the water and in what amounts. Does the product packaging show this information?
I believe this is because they're trying to patent the formula. I first heard about them from this DCN article - here's a relevant quote:
While the Third Wave Water formulation has much in common with the SCAA recommendations for water content, it's not intended to be an exact match. Specifically, TWW has zero alkalinity, while the SCAA recommends a reading of 40. It's also not necessarily engineered as an equipment-saving measure, though it may be better in that regard than some waters people might be using. First and foremost, the goal of TWW is a matter of flavor, extraction efficiency, and standardization.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I'm afraid to ask, what exactly do you do with those rather large 'suppositories'?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Fausto (original poster)

#7: Post by Fausto (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Lol, sorry if that wasn't obvious. They have a lid and they're filled with powder. You pop them open, dump them into the water and shake until the powder dissolves.

thuegli

#8: Post by thuegli »

Fausto wrote: Not sure why I got it as my tap water is pretty good.
How does the water taste compared to your tap water? Are you on the Bull Run supply?

Fausto (original poster)

#9: Post by Fausto (original poster) replying to thuegli »

I'll report back once I have a chance to pick up some distilled water - just showed up today. I'm down in Corvallis, no Bull Run around here.

bigdaub

#10: Post by bigdaub »

For those who are wondering what's in it... Each capsule is a total 1.5 grams. 1.1 grams of magnesium sulfate, .3 grams calcium citrate and .1 grams of sodium chloride.

Cheers
FYI I am Taylor of Third Wave Water