Surprised by roast date

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
maccompatible

#1: Post by maccompatible »

I recently updated from an old and heavily used Gaggia Carezza to a Silvia. While I waited on my new machine to be delivered, I finished off a pound of beans from my local roaster. I didn't buy any more because Sweet Maria's offered a free pound with my purchase. Anyway, I spent the first day finding the proper grind setting, mostly because the free beans were full city+ compared to city from my roaster (I had to move from 1E to to 2U on my grinder to not choke the Silvia :shock: ). I finally found a good setting, and I'm getting at least three or four times more crema than my Gaggia, and the taste is so much richer.

Now here's the interesting bit. My free pound of coffee was roasted a month ago, while the local beans were no more than a week past roast. I can't wait to see what fresh coffee does!
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

mathof

#2: Post by mathof »

Are they the same type of beans? I find that some beans (and blends) deliver much more crema than others.

Matt

Advertisement
maccompatible (original poster)

#3: Post by maccompatible (original poster) »

mathof wrote:Are they the same type of beans?
No. They were different. I switched back to the local beans today. I'm getting more crema than with my old machine, but not as much as the free beans roasted to full city+. Ah well. I'm pretty sure the local roaster changed to a lighter roast for espresso blend recently. I think it's around a city roast.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628