Sudden Coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

Good tasting instant coffee? Read about this in pergers hustle. He said 'by all accounts, its not bad.'

https://www.suddencoffee.com/

Is anyone familiar with this or has tried it?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

There have been a few memorable coffee experiences in my life and the first one was the sample of Taster's Choice, the first freeze dried coffee, included in the mornings LA Times. Must have been back in the 60's and I was likely around 10 and I still remember how astonishingly much better that was then anything I'd ever had before. So I have to think that's it's possible to make decent instant coffee. Yes I know that what I had for comparison was likely crap, but It was a significant enough experience that I still remember it 50 years later.

I wonder if it's more a marketing problem, people don't believe instant can taste good so no one made an effort.

Ira

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Yea I wonder how it would compared to the fresh coffee I have become accustomed too.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

IntrepidQ3 wrote:Is anyone familiar with this or has tried it?
At $6 a cup? :shock: With apologies for the possible hijack, but whatever became of the instant Starbucks VIA? I vaguely recall a lot of chatter when it first came out, then haven't heard much of anything since. But maybe that's because I don't frequent Starbucks?
Dan Kehn

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Childhood memories of taste are usually strong memories but hardly accurate in my experience, surely the impact was big but when compared to current tastes and having an evolved palate typicallly makes me wonder whether stuff I vividly remember tasted that much better or that I thought it was very good because I had little context...my guess is the latter.

For me espresso is instantaneous enough :wink:
LMWDP #483

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

HB wrote:At $6 a cup? :shock: With apologies for the possible hijack, but whatever became of the instant Starbucks VIA? I vaguely recall a lot of chatter when it first came out, then haven't heard much of anything since. But maybe that's because I don't frequent Starbucks?
VIA is still around. It's the standard for lightweight backpackers. I bought some a week ago at a local supermarket for $6 for 8 little packets (equals 4 cups for me). That works out to $1.25 cup, roughly what I pay for quality beans when brewing fresh.

It's not bad, at least in the context of backpacking; or snow camping in my recent case. I've taken my mini grinder and an Aeropress or a filter cone or whatever before but it's kind of a pain in the neck: messy, heavy and the grounds have to be dealt with (disposal is illegal in many wildernesses).

But $6/cup is too much for me. The price will have to come way down.

The CEO has a good last name for what he's doing.

toincoss

#7: Post by toincoss »

I tried their third batch which used Saint Frank's Little Brother coffee (a roaster/cafe out of SF). FWIW, I thought it was the tastiest instant coffee I've ever had, but I did notice once the coffee cooled down to room temperature it immediately tasted stale. Maybe my ratio wasn't right but definitely worth trying again. The recipe I used: 1 tube (4.6 grams) and 240 grams of hot water (200 degrees) then stir and drink.

41fivestar

#8: Post by 41fivestar »

I've had Sudden Coffee. It was a batch of a Honduran coffee from Ritual. It was quite delicious and balanced. I didn't notice any stale or off flavors.

I'm excited to try later batches as he gets his process nailed down.

kallefreese

#9: Post by kallefreese »

Hey guys! I'm Kalle, co-founder of Sudden. Happy to answer any questions here.
jpender wrote:VIA is still around. It's the standard for lightweight backpackers. I bought some a week ago at a local supermarket for $6 for 8 little packets (equals 4 cups for me). That works out to $1.25 cup, roughly what I pay for quality beans when brewing fresh.

It's not bad, at least in the context of backpacking; or snow camping in my recent case. I've taken my mini grinder and an Aeropress or a filter cone or whatever before but it's kind of a pain in the neck: messy, heavy and the grounds have to be dealt with (disposal is illegal in many wildernesses).

But $6/cup is too much for me. The price will have to come way down.

The CEO has a good last name for what he's doing.
I totally agree that the price is really high now - that's how much it's costing for us to make one cup at the moment. We just signed a lease for our own space. This allows us to increase our production capacity and bring the price down within the next few months.

Re: my last name - yeah, that's where the whole thing started as a joke...

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

Kalle, good luck to you guys.