Steam cleaning brush

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dmw010

#1: Post by dmw010 »

Anyone actually tried one of these? Worthwhile or just stick with backflushing?

http://www.chriscoffee.com/Steam_Cleani ... 384710.htm

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

dmw010 wrote:Anyone actually tried one of these? Worthwhile or just stick with backflushing?
This is not a replacement for backflushing, but a cleaning tool for the group seal, dispersion screen, etc.

Backflushing is for cleaning out your 3-way valve.
LMWDP #445

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

I have one that I've used for cleaning small parts. Picked it up at 1st Line with some points I'd accumulated. $110 is way too much for what it is IMO. Cheaper elsewhere: http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Concep ... -p3735.htm
LMWDP 267

dmw010 (original poster)

#4: Post by dmw010 (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:This is not a replacement for backflushing, but a cleaning tool for the group seal, dispersion screen, etc.

Backflushing is for cleaning out your 3-way valve.
Sorry if I was unclear - I wasn't suggesting this as a replacement for backflushing, but rather does it add anything beyond backflushing, which certainly runs hot water (and detergent, if used) through the screen. I already backflush with water and use a grouphead brush on the gasket and shower screen after every session. And an occasional detergent backflush. Even so, coffee residue seems to build up on the inside the screen, and I wondered if steam cleaning might help that issue, since I only pull the gasket and the screen out once a year.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

dmw010 wrote:I already backflush with water and use a grouphead brush on the gasket and shower screen after every session. And an occasional detergent backflush.
Ahhh. Now I understand. :wink:

I think there are far better opinions out there than mine on this topic, but I understand the issue. Stale coffee residue in and above the screen. I don't run my NS Oscar daily, but whenever I run it I always backflush with water at the end. If I've used it for more than 2-3 days that week it will generally get a detergent backflush on the weekend. Overkill I'm sure, but I don't want coffee residue up there either.

Someone on the forums should be able to clarify, but I think you can setup your backflush with a backflush detergent and leave it in place for 1/2 hour or so. That will then loosen up alot of the coffee residues. Finish it off with a series of backflushes and hopefully it's clean. The detergent shouldn't have anything in it that will harm the seals or metal there.

Steam brush probably won't clean much better than the detergent, but at that price it will sure clean your wallet! :lol:
LMWDP #445