Simple home automation device - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LaDan

#11: Post by LaDan »

Very nice.

Interesting that they don't want Android users money. They must be already rich.

nixter (original poster)

#12: Post by nixter (original poster) »

Here's what Belkin has to say about it...

"We hope to be able to support Android in the future, but do not have a specific timeframe at this point. We do some complicated things with WiFi to enable an instant response from our WeMos to the application and vice versa. We're working with the different versions of Android to guarantee a quality user experience across the board to all Android users."

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Peppersass »

The problem with Android is that user interface programming varies from one hardware platform to another, and I think that may be the case with the networking hardware as well. They all support Java, but it requires a lot of customization work, and many Android devices, to ensure that the user experience will be the same on all the Android smartphones and tablets on the market. It's sort of a step backwards to what we had to cope with in the 80s and 90s to support many hardware platform, even under one OS like Unix.

Back in the old days, I believed that Steve Jobs was fundamentally wrong to insist on a closed architecture for Apple products, and that Windows and various flavors of Unix had it right with more open architectures. But now I realize that although this was true for the corporate market, it isn't true for the mass consumer market. It's clear to me now that Jobs had it right -- I just wasn't looking ahead far enough.

Unfortunately, Google has followed in the footsteps of Microsoft. Perhaps their new tablet is an attempt to remedy the mistake.

hansing80

#14: Post by hansing80 »

nixter wrote:So I set this up a few weeks ago and it's been great. VERY simple setup using only your smartphone. Allows me power control over my Giotto Evo from anywhere. I use the scheduling feature to start and stop the machine in the AM on weekdays. It's also programmed to stay on constantly during the weekends. If I decide that I might want an espresso when I get home from work on a weekday I simply turn on the machine from work using my phone and it's ready to brew by the time I get home!

Couldn't be happier with this device.
Does it allow you turn your machine on or off when you're not home?
That sounds nice!

nixter (original poster)

#15: Post by nixter (original poster) »

It sure does. Also, Belkin announced at CES that Wemo will be supporting Android soon.

RAS

#16: Post by RAS »

I've also been using WeMo for some months to control my espresso machine. The timer function is fantastic. My only wish on any of these automation schedulers is the ability to set up particular days as "holidays". My machine gets a different schedule based on weekdays versus weekends and holidays. I just wish the scheduler would recognize a holiday as weekend-like, and follow that schedule if the holiday were to fall on a weekday.

I also have a WeMo in my garage set to control an exhaust fan, which I use in the summer to cool the garage at night. It's great to just disable this schedule during the winter.

There are loads of uses for these IP-controlled outlets. I've seen one user with a set-up that recognizes when his modem has locked up (using some sort of monitoring app), and then ping the WeMo to reset power to it.

For those interested in them, our local (Southern CA) Costco stores have them in two-packs for $79.99. Not a bad deal.
Bob

allon

#17: Post by allon »

That would be easy enough to do with a TC4 shield and a SSR.
Too much like work, though...
LMWDP #331

benhogan

#18: Post by benhogan »

cool :D

allon

#19: Post by allon »

For any homebuilt home automation device, I would ask myself "what are the consequences if it fails in the worst possible way?"

If the design is solid it should fail safe.
If there is a question, I'd be happier buying something commercial and proven.

If it is being designed for unattended operation, the bar is higher than if the operator is present.
LMWDP #331