Scientist vs People

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Psyd

#1: Post by Psyd »

A buddy described the difference between a Scientist and Regular Folk to me the other day, and I immediately thought of HB:

If a regular Joe pushes a button and is immediately struck by lightning like electricity, he walks away thinking, "Wow, I'll not do that again!"
A scientist in the same scenario thinks, "Wow, I wonder if it'll do that every time I push the button?" :D
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Stuggi

#2: Post by Stuggi »

Punch line to that story is sometimes "Getting struck by lightning a couple of times is a small price to pay for understanding a machine that controls lightning!". :mrgreen:
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee »

Psyd wrote:A scientist in the same scenario thinks, "Wow, I wonder if it'll do that every time I push the button?" :D
And to do the experiment properly, it has to be double blinded, with a lookalike control button that does nothing. So a good Scientist will recruit a bunch of unsuspecting Regular Folk to push the buttons... :twisted:
John

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

Psyd wrote:A buddy described the difference between a Scientist and Regular Folk to me the other day, and I immediately thought of HB:

If a regular Joe pushes a button and is immediately struck by lightning like electricity, he walks away thinking, "Wow, I'll not do that again!"
A scientist in the same scenario thinks, "Wow, I wonder if it'll do that every time I push the button?" :D
I know I'm a scientist because I'm feverishly working on yet another grant deadline for December 16th. Yet I'd walk away saying I won't do that again.

Your friend needs to work on a new hypothesis.

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

And there are those here that would push both buttons just to see what they might do.

Just saying.

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

coffee.me

#6: Post by coffee.me »

. . . . or PID that thing, then declare: "it makes no difference in the pain!"

iginfect

#7: Post by iginfect »

I agree with GC7, I'd just walk away.

Marvin, with a B.S. and a doctorate.

Advertisement
Stuggi

#8: Post by Stuggi »

This makes you wonder what kind of scientist people normally encounter, since all the ones on HB seems to have a bit of a different approach. :mrgreen:

(Oh, personally I'd have some one else push the button, but that has more to do with a sadistic nature than studying for a Master/Licenciate degree in mechanical engineering) :mrgreen:
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

michaelbenis

#9: Post by michaelbenis »

You mean scientists aren't people, too? :oops: :cry: :cry:
LMWDP No. 237

Psyd (original poster)

#10: Post by Psyd (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:I know I'm a scientist because I'm feverishly working on yet another grant deadline for December 16th.
Feverishly working on a grant deadline won't make yo a scientist. I know a performance artist that is feverishly working on a grant deadline for Dec 20th.
OTOH, there are plenty of people that work in science, but are not scientists.

And remember folks, jokes are like cats. The first thing that happens when you start to take them apart to see how they work is that you get a non-working one...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175