SCAA 2015 Product Debuts - Page 9

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
VeniaCoffee

#81: Post by VeniaCoffee »

Balthazar_B wrote:SanRemo, you mean?

http://www.sanremomachines.com/opera-the-revolution/

I can only imagine the cost. Know if they're planning to come out with anything smaller than 3 groups?
Yes, Sanremo, didn't proofread.

They do have a two group, which is the one I played on. Mid 20's on the greens.

Balthazar_B

#82: Post by Balthazar_B »

VeniaCoffee wrote:Yes, Sanremo, didn't proofread.

They do have a two group, which is the one I played on. Mid 20's on the greens.
Ouch! That's like a root canal without anesthesia!

Did you run your own beans through it? Speaking of which, do you know when you'll be doing an Ethiopian/New World blend again?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Spitz.me

#83: Post by Spitz.me »

Marshall wrote:Stopped by the Compak booth today. They showed me a new (not for sale yet) single-dose hopper. It's a beautiful piece of (I think) aluminum, that is easy to use for weighing your shot and then fitting exactly into the hopper well. Should be very popular with HB Compak owners.
Why is this not getting more attention? Marshall, what's the ETA for this machine? A year, two years? Pics?
LMWDP #670

Balthazar_B

#84: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Spitz.me »

Sounds like just a simple hopper that will fit most Compak machines (it may have a sliding door, but hardly what one would call a machine). Not unlike the kind of specialty piece you'd find at OE. Prettier than a cut piece of PVC pipe and a piece of cardboard. :)
- John

LMWDP # 577

Spitz.me

#85: Post by Spitz.me replying to Balthazar_B »

I misread the initial post to be a grinder, not a hopper. Ho hummmmmmm
LMWDP #670

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Ok, let me jot down some notes here about the show before they're completely gone.

I stopped by the Bruer booth and had some great cold brew. I bought one of these in February and with the right coffee and roast it does make a good cup of coffee, even for someone like me that prefers a bright, fruity flash brewed cup. I like to do a hot bloom and a cold drip with this product. They say that they're working on a larger version. Could be a good product for cafes, size is just about right for me, doesn't take up too much counter space and fits in the fridge.

I stopped by the Acaia booth and found out that their Lunar scales sold out in a flash, but you can pre-order them from the La Marzocco Home site. I haven't checked it out yet, but they also said that there's a new app, but since my old phone doesn't support BlueTooth 4.0 I don't have a burning reason to upgrade. The Lunar scale comes with some sort of flat tray that will hold a large portafilter for weighing your dose. It seemed magnetically attached to the Lunar, but I'm not sure of this. It also comes with a 100 gram calibration weight.

The Beanscorp Cafflano brew travel mug booth was popular, a lot of people were checking this out and they were having a show special, but I'm all set on the travel brew front and happy with my Lido 2 and my Impress / Presse brew mug. I also didn't like all the plastic in the brewer.

I checked out the OXO booth, they have coffee brewers and a cold brew tower. I didn't like the plastic composition of the cold brew tower, but it looked pretty convenient, especially for a cafe.

At the OrphanEspresso booth, I checked out the Lido 3 and picked up accessories for my 2 (anti-static catch cup, popper stopper, soft washer set). Doug pulled a Lido 3 and explained how he's been working with the group in Taiwan on final assembly and checking out the zero and he pulled one out for Josh and checked it. The handle of the Lido 3 is EDP coated but the adjustment rings are Nano coated, which Doug explained in a tweet means:
Orphan Espresso wrote:Nano-structured (VERY small), corrosion protective (VERY hard) metallic-ceramic coating (hard to damage), very black!
He showed me a comparison of the Lido 1, 2, and 3 burrs and explained that the Lido 3 burrs are easier to integrate into the grinder and have better availability so in the future the Lido 2 will move to use the same burrs as the Lido 3. The Lido 2 burrs are on the left right and the Lido 3 burrs are shown on the right left in the picture below (sorry, I had it reversed originally). He also stated that the new Pharos will look like the old Pharos but will be designed for manufacturability in order to be able to be produced in their facility in Taiwan. Doug spoke highly of the team in Taiwan.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I stopped by the Cafelat booth, ran into Dr. Gary there and got to meet Paul Pratt there. Nice to meet Paul and catch up with Gary. The convertible portafilters for the La Pavoni look great, much better than the chopped portafilter that came with my Gaggia Factory. The bases have a secure fit and I believe that you can buy just the bottomless part or the whole kit. I asked Paul to consider a portafilter for the Faema Faemina, but didn't get any promises. :D I picked up a tamping mat while I was there, taking advantage of the show discount.

Apologies for the fuzzy picture of Paul

I also stopped by the Behmor booth and talked about the connected brewer and roaster. The new features of the connected brewer are exciting, you'll be able to fill the reservoir but use the app to brew the desired amount of coffee, you'll be able to wake on hot water, saving, I figure from my BraZen +, about five minutes from the brew time, and there'll be a way to download and upload coffee recipes from the Internet. There's even a manual mode where you can control the brewer temp and brew valve, I believe. This brewer should be available in August.

The connected roaster will have three modes, a beginner mode, a profile mode that'll be like what the Behmor + has today, and then if you accept the liability waiver a manual mode where you can control the roast and take the coffee to dark roast levels. The connected phone will act as a dead-man's switch so that if you walk away or leave your phone motionless too long the roaster can tell that it's unattended and take necessary steps. Joe mentioned that he'll be adding thermocouples to the roaster and also stated that if you lose your phone you can duplicate the last roast by pressing the button on the roaster. Both these products look like significant improvements on the product line. Joe kept mum on his third project, makes you wonder what he's working on.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cmin

#88: Post by cmin »

yakster wrote:I also stopped by the Behmor booth and talked about the connected brewer and roaster. The new features of the connected brewer are exciting, you'll be able to fill the reservoir but use the app to brew the desired amount of coffee, you'll be able to wake on hot water, saving, I figure from my BraZen +, about five minutes from the brew time, and there'll be a way to download and upload coffee recipes from the Internet. There's even a manual mode where you can control the brewer temp and brew valve, I believe. This brewer should be available in August.

The connected roaster will have three modes, a beginner mode, a profile mode that'll be like what the Behmor + has today, and then if you accept the liability waiver a manual mode where you can control the roast and take the coffee to dark roast levels. The connected phone will act as a dead-man's switch so that if you walk away or leave your phone motionless too long the roaster can tell that it's unattended and take necessary steps. Joe mentioned that he'll be adding thermocouples to the roaster and also stated that if you lose your phone you can duplicate the last roast by pressing the button on the roaster. Both these products look like significant improvements on the product line. Joe kept mum on his third project, makes you wonder what he's working on.
Thats a pretty cool update for both

tr182md

#89: Post by tr182md »

yakster wrote:I stopped by the Cafelat booth, ran into Dr. Gary there and got to meet Paul Pratt there. Nice to meet Paul and catch up with Gary. The convertible portafilters for the La Pavoni look great, much better than the chopped portafilter that came with my Gaggia Factory. The bases have a secure fit and I believe that you can buy just the bottomless part or the whole kit. I asked Paul to consider a portafilter for the Faema Faemina, but didn't get any promises. :D I picked up a tamping mat while I was there, taking advantage of the show discount.

<image>
The portafilter a were nice but I did notice that the little hole on top that he says allows air to enter creates a sharp area. When I was testing popping the bottom off I almost cut myself on it. It is called breather notch on the website.

http://www.cafelat.com/portafilter.html

MWJB

#90: Post by MWJB »

yakster wrote: The Lido 2 burrs are on the left and the Lido 3 burrs are shown on the right in the picture below.
Are you sure those aren't the Lido3 burrs on the left?