SCAA 2009

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
oconee

#1: Post by oconee »

I am interested in attending the SCAA in Atlanta. Can the public attend or do you have to be associated with a company?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Membership is not required, though the number of seminars of interest to consumers is very limited. In years past, I got a showroom floor pass. You can also earn credit by volunteering. The WBC will be held there and they'll credit you towards conference fees ("Work 5 volunteer hours, and earn $95.00 credit towards a Lectures + 3-day Trade Show Badge" according to scaaexposition.org). You have a front row seat for the competition and get paid for your time. Hard to argue with that!
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
oconee (original poster)

#3: Post by oconee (original poster) »

Thanks for the response. I did some more reading and since my wife wished to spend the day together and watch the WBC I went ahead and registered each of us as consumers/enthusiasts (a stretch I know but was the closest I could pick). I know this is a professional/commercial gathering but I am looking forward to seeing the state of the art.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

You'll also enjoy the show floor, especially if you've never attended before. This is the largest coffee show in the world. You'll see just about every coffee toy imaginable, professional and consumer, plus be able to sample coffees from all over the world. You will also see new products before they are shown anywhere else.

Yes, there are lots of gelato mix booths, but you'll also see what some of the brightest minds in the coffee world have been developing all year. The Behmor debuted in 2007 and the Baratza Vario in 2008.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you'll also bump into some familiar faces from Home-barista.
Marshall
Los Angeles

oconee (original poster)

#5: Post by oconee (original poster) »

I am quite looking forward to attending. Should be lots of fun for my wife and I as well as very informative. Will H-B have a booth?

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

An H-B booth? :lol:

Sorry, I don't plan to go, but it sounds like it will be interesting with the WBC Bar. In years past, the Barista Guild had good drinks at their booth. I hope that the organizers arrange the top roasters near each other as they did in Charlotte; it was nicknamed by attendees "power alley" where you could sample good, very good, and maybe excellent espressos all within two aisles.

BTW, if you want to save money and get up-close views on the barista competition, sign up as a volunteer. I served as a sensory judge a few times and the workshop is worth the price of admission alone. I believe it starts on Tuesday and goes for three days.
Dan Kehn

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt »

All HB'ers are very welcome to stop and say hello, I shall be at booth 633 with the relaunch/rebranding of the bumper products. Maybe an old machine or two as well (assuming they make the air freight in 1 piece).

Paul

Advertisement
Dan Streetman

#8: Post by Dan Streetman »

I know the WBC is still looking for volunteers. They need runners, timekeepers, station maintenance, and so on.

http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com ... ration.htm

they also have some nice gifts for volunteers.....
Dan Streetman
Cuvee Coffee
Austin, TX

networkcrasher

#9: Post by networkcrasher »

Anyone going to SCAA besides myself?

*edit - sorry, missed this thread. I might have to bring my bumper stuff for an autograph! :lol:

Marshall

#10: Post by Marshall replying to networkcrasher »

Already here. The WBC area is amazing. Cindy Chang (newly announced Exec. Director) gave me a walk-through. Seating on both sides of the performance area. A press/blogging booth. Video projections of barista techniques. A rotating list of barista champions serving espresso and specialty drinks to visitors.

Oh, yeah. It's free and open to the public. You don't even need to buy a pass to the Exposition floor.
Marshall
Los Angeles