"Saudi-style" light roast coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dogjamboree

#1: Post by dogjamboree »

I was just perusing the September / October edition of roast magazine, where I happened upon an article on coffee roasting in the Middle East. The gist of the article is that as with many regions in the world right now, coffee is experiencing a rebirth in the Middle East.

It goes on to describe some of the differences between the various countries of the region, but the part that got my attention was their description of a light roast style they call "Saudi-style." They say the "yellowish beans" resemble "parchment coffee" and are lighter than cinnamon roast. Apparently these are sometimes drunk by themselves, but often blended with dark roast beans, and often with cardamom and/or other spices.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the "opportunity" :) to try this style of coffee. I bet it stays fresh for a LONG time post-roast!

Frank

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It's apparently the oldest and most traditional style for roasting coffee, originating in the Arabian peninsula, and adapted to preparation in caravan tents. Fresh is not an issue, since only the coffee to be brewed is roasted. It's done in a small pan over the fire, to the beginning of first crack. The roasted beans are then ground, and brewed. Spices, particularly cardamon, are added, but I never saw darker roasted beans being added as well.

The overall intensity and body of the brew was tea like, but with coffee flavors.

Roasts apparently only got darker as the coffee moved out of the desert into commercial cafes in the urban parts of the Islamic world. However, I'm not aware of any contemporary evidence about the change in roast levels until the late 1600s, when several published accounts of roasting make middle to end of the 2nd crack roasts the norm.
Jim Schulman

dogjamboree (original poster)

#3: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) »

Thanks Jim! While I'm not necessarily tempted to try this one at home, I'll definitely make an effort to seek this out next time I'm in the Middle East.

Frank

tamarian

#4: Post by tamarian »

Saudi-style is probably the lightest of several levels of very light roasts. There are now competitions for this style of coffee, not big yet, but growing. I do roast this style of coffee commercially, and realized that in the United Arab Emirates it is a bit darker, but still yellow/blond. The difference is that Saudi style is more aroma focused, while Emirates style is taste focused, or that's my UAE buddies view it.

Anyone who wants to try this roast level, go way past drying stage, but well before brown territory, think orange. And do it slowly. You will spot an area during the roast with intense aroma, either pop corn, raisins or sesame,after the hay smell is gone.

If you do try it, be careful grinding it. Best use a hand mill with metal burrs, or a blade grinder.

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

Very interesting, Wa'il. How would you recommend that it be brewed?
LMWDP #435

tamarian

#6: Post by tamarian replying to [creative nickname] »

I like to brew it just like Turkish coffee, 10 grams fine grind coffee to 100 grams cold water, bring to near boil, remove for a minute, bring to another near boil, and you're done.

Traditional method is coarse grind, boil it for 5 to 15 minutes, and you're done. Use a filter to pour it.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

tamarian wrote:Saudi-style is probably the lightest of several levels of very light roasts ... Anyone who wants to try this roast level, go way past drying stage, but well before brown territory, think orange. And do it slowly. You will spot an area during the roast with intense aroma, either pop corn, raisins or sesame,after the hay smell is gone.
I've never roasted this light before; I'll be interested to see how it tastes, and how the taste changes for different origins of coffee.
Jim Schulman

tamarian

#8: Post by tamarian replying to another_jim »

Fruity DP Ethiopians are the best, IMHO. When I spot aroma changes near the drop point I often think "how would Jim describe this smell" :lol:

Taste wise, it can be like Halwa/Halva, the sesame dessert, very sweet. There will faint notes of whatever flavour is dominant when taken past first crack.

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

Halva without the calories sounds very good
Jim Schulman