Robot Baristas article

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Pipeguy

#1: Post by Pipeguy »

Interesting article on the replacement of the barista with technology. From the website Quartz:
"What we've created is in essence a small food factory that absolutely replicates what a champion barista does," says Nater. Briggo roasts its own beans-sourced by a pair of coffee supply veterans who between them spent a combined 40 years at Starbucks. "We have calibrated this machine to pull espresso shots to the same specification as an Illy or a Stumptown or an Intelligentsia. We've just done it without the human element.
Link is here:

http://qz.com/134661/briggo-coffee-army ... e-know-it/

BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

It's definitely an interesting idea, but the article mentions Starbucks way too many times as being "high end". This machine sounds like it is courting the crowd that puts tons of sugary syrup flavorings in their coffee, so a comparison to intelly and stumptown doesn't seem too accurate considering I've never seen a single bottle of flavoring syrup in any third wave store (thank god).

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Awful article, if there is already one up and running why not show an actual picture of it? Articles like that just make feel like I am reading phony make believe garbage that whole site feels that way.

entropyembrace

#4: Post by entropyembrace »

"Drug delivery systems should be consistent"

If that's what coffee is baristas should have 5 year pharmacology degrees and get paid at least $50/hour...

Tweek Tweak

#5: Post by Tweek Tweak »

Good God! that looks like a gigantic super industrial Nespresso machine. Oh man, If they replace the employees in all the Starbucks, they will shoot themselves in the foot with that cost savings device. I have drinken coffee from those automatic machines in a few of the quicky marts and it was naaaaasty. I mean beyond nasty.

I am glad that I purchased my equipment and learned how to make good coffee drinks. The knowledge from this web site and trial & error, has made me fall in love with coffee all over again. There is nothing cooler that inviting a few people over and making them all drinks on my chrome plated, Italian made, E61 espresso machine. Once I grind my beans, tamp the port-a-filter and start the process of steaming the milk, I always get a wow from one person.

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Experience suggests the coffee will be better than what you get from a conventional vending machine, badly trained barista or most superautos (as is Nespresso), but not as good as what a skilled barista produces.
Marshall
Los Angeles

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM replying to Marshall »

Unfortunately it will be a signal to most people that machines make better espresso with less human involvement. Maybe someday that will be the case, but we've got a long way to go...
LMWDP #445

Advertisement
nixter

#8: Post by nixter »

Within that article there is a link to the "taste test" the article mentions. It was noted that while the pod was smooth and easy drink it was not particularly challenging or distinctive. I think consistency is what the restaurant chefs were after. Training all your wait staff to be baristas just doesn't seem realistic and neither does hiring a couple full time baristas.

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

Quartz article wrote: Its external appearance was designed by award-winning industrial designer Yves Behar, with the intention that it radiate authenticity and what Briggo says is its commitment to making coffee that is the equal of what comes out of any high-end coffee shop.
Fake wood, frosted glass, a logo, and a pretty girl, pretending to order, carefully standing off to one side, so as not to block this vision of authenticity.
Jim Schulman

aerojrp

#10: Post by aerojrp »

I have to say that when I worked in Italy, we had an awesome fully automatic machine on the floor that made really good espresso. It ground fresh beans and used fresh milk for milk drinks. It was serviced after no more than every 2 days, so it was always in tip top condition. Yes, we could get better coffee at a bar, but the difference wasn't so great as to drive the espresso crazy Italians out of the factory every 3 hours in search of coffee. The results were better that what I have received from most coffee shops here in the US, and if I could get one of those machines for work, I'd love to have one!

Jim