Potassium Chloride for Water Softener

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
okmed

#1: Post by okmed »

Has anyone here used potassium chloride in their "espresso water softener" instead of sodium chloride, and if you have, did you notice any taste difference?

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

We had a potassium chloride whole house water softener installed in our then new home 11-years ago. I still found the taste of the water off-putting so I used a PUR pitcher for our drinking water needs including espresso. Having said that the KCl treated water is at least palatable whereas the NaCl treated water is pretty nasty to drink...at least the couple friend's systems I've sampled. We don't have terribly hard water to begin with...and it seemed to work fine for clothes, dishes and showers.

But the cost of KCl pellets is off the chart: ~$25-$30/bag now. The annual cost, for a whole house system, was killing me so I disconnected it earlier this year. Interestingly with just city chlorinated water at our taps the PUR cartridge filter lasts about 3X longer now than when the KCl was being used.
No Espresso = Depresso

okmed (original poster)

#3: Post by okmed (original poster) »

Thanks for your input spressomon. I've edited my post to say "espresso water softener". I don't have a whole house softener and was mainly interested in the affects on espresso taste. What were your experiences in that regard?

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

^ I got to thinking after I posted what you probably were driving at :)

All the water that runs through our Livia 90 and mypressi goes through a PUR counter pitcher. I can't comment how espresso flavor is effected with unduly hard or soft water. But we've been very, very happy with the simplicity of the PUR as well as its completely neutral water flavor. I should probably test strip the water from it one of these days though to get a baseline.
No Espresso = Depresso

iginfect

#5: Post by iginfect »

I have a whole house water softener and have had varying ratios of Na to K depending on availabilty and price of KCl, from 0% to 50% and have not noticed any difference in anything I drink from the faucet, tea, coffee etc.

Marvin

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I took a 10" water softener cartridge and charged it with KCL and didn't notice any off-putting taste.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272