Portfilter basket has an effect on puck firmness?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kajer

#1: Post by kajer »

A few weeks ago I ordered this (link to espresso parts), and was finally able to try it out this last weekend. I there was another thread about these ridge-less baskets, and I was sold. (I ordered the 21g triple too.)

I started by pulling a shot with my stock double basket, and everything was good. I switched to the ridgeless and had a full espresso cup in <7 seconds. Same grind, same dose weight, same tamp method, but instant channeling. I had to go a about 5 "notches" finer on my Mazzer Mini and up my dose weight to 18g before I was able to start choking my machine. A few fine tunes and tweaks later, I was able to pull a decent shot.

The weirdest thing about this whole experience, was the consistency of the puck afterwards. My double basket has always let go of the puck on the first knock. The puck is always nicely formed, and relatively dry when ejected. This ridge-less basket on the other hand, is a muddy mess. This basket has a hard time letting go. When it does, the bottom "corners" of the basket are full of grinds. The puck is a sloppy mess in my knockbox.

How can a basket change the consistency of the puck so much?

My guess is head room. These ridge-less baskets are pretty deep. With 17.5g in my stock double basket, I get impressions from my group head screen and flush screw. These baskets are much deeper, possibly allowing for more per-infusion as the water fills the headroom basket.

Should I keep at the new baskets, or am I wasting coffee and time?

kolu

#2: Post by kolu »

use more coffee. you should have 1-3 mm headspace between coffee surface and showerhead (dry, before extraction).