Oliver Strand Interview: The Coffee Chronicler

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

NY Times coffee writer, Oliver Strand, gave an interview this week that should be of interest to coffee enthusiasts, even if you don't live in NYC. While focusing on NYC 3rd wave developments, Strand goes on to talk about the world wide phenomenon, Nordic light roasting, Korean coffee culture (far beyond anything seen in the U.S.) and Japan's long coffee history. I am really looking forward to his forthcoming book.

http://narrative.ly/caffeinated-city/th ... hronicler/
Marshall
Los Angeles

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Thank you Marshall for always posting wonderful articles! I want to taste some Scandinavian roasts, although I would image that what Barismo is doing is very similar. Any recommendations for drip?
LMWDP #353

Marshall (original poster)

#3: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

You're welcome. My drip tastes are pretty eclectic, so I'm usually drinking something different all the time.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

bostonbuzz wrote:I want to taste some Scandinavian roasts, although I would image that what Barismo is doing is very similar. Any recommendations for drip?
Heart's Ethiopia Chelba is just great! And I see the roaster was mentioned in this article.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

bostonbuzz wrote:Thank you Marshall for always posting wonderful articles!
+1. Great content & presentation.

endlesscycles

#6: Post by endlesscycles »

bostonbuzz wrote:Thank you Marshall for always posting wonderful articles! I want to taste some Scandinavian roasts, although I would image that what Barismo is doing is very similar. Any recommendations for drip?
I'd recommend Howell. The New England roast is the original Scandinavian roast. Check his limited offerings... Mamuto roasts on Monday and is superb.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Thanks, Marshall. What I enjoyed most about that article is Oliver Strand's perspective.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

beer&mathematics

#8: Post by beer&mathematics »

Nice thanks for sharing. Being on the HB blog a bunch and not much of a coffee shop patron, I looked up the shop that Strand recommends in my neighborhood in Greenpoint. Then I went to Yelp and realized there were a ton of coffee shops. Yikes, how'd I miss that? :oops:
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Unfortunately, I find that Yelp reviews are unreliable in determining my satisfaction with a particular coffee shop. Most of the reviewers are looking for WiFi or frozen drinks it seems and not judging the shop on the quality of the coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Nuprin

#10: Post by Nuprin »

Great article Marshall. I'm giving a Pecha Kucha talk next month and there are a lot of good points I didn't consider for presenting on "3rd Wave Coffee, Role of a Barista and Coffee Etiquette". Especially love the line about how good coffee is one of the best culinary bargains.