Old Bunn G2-red

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
gimpy

#1: Post by gimpy »

A friend of mine that I used to work with now owns a thrift store. She knew that I had been looking for a grinder last year. So the other day she texted me a picture of a red Bunn g2 that they had just gotten in. Wife and I went and looked at it. They brought in a pound of beans from next door (coffee/espresso bar) and we tried it out. It seems to work fine, so wife let me buy it :D .

She knew nothing about it. It is not new (does look real used). It has the manufacturing sticker on the back but I can not find a manufacture date. Anyone know where I could determine/find the date might be? I'm sure it needs new burrs, but that probably won't happen, per the wife :( .

I plan to use it to grind for cold brew, so it really won't get a whole lot of use. I just got a new Feldgrind a few months ago for my single cup grinding. Can I use this monster to grind 17 or so grams at a time?

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

gimpy wrote:A friend of mine that I used to work with now owns a thrift store. She knew that I had been looking for a grinder last year. So the other day she texted me a picture of a red Bunn g2 that they had just gotten in. Wife and I went and looked at it. They brought in a pound of beans from next door (coffee/espresso bar) and we tried it out. It seems to work fine, so wife let me buy it :D .

She knew nothing about it. It is not new (does look real used). It has the manufacturing sticker on the back but I can not find a manufacture date. Anyone know where I could determine/find the date might be? I'm sure it needs new burrs, but that probably won't happen, per the wife :( .

I plan to use it to grind for cold brew, so it really won't get a whole lot of use. I just got a new Feldgrind a few months ago for my single cup grinding. Can I use this monster to grind 17 or so grams at a time?
<image>
If it's anything like my bulk grinder, 17g will be done in about 1 second. That said, grind quality is totally based on condition and burr shape.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

gimpy (original poster)

#3: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

Right, I realize all that. If I could ( :roll: , financially), I would try and go the Ditting burr Bunnzilla route.

But-not gonna happen.

I will probably tear it down a little to clean it up (just wipe and blow it out) and maybe try and adjust the grinder a little tighter?

I did grind about 17 grams on the coarsest setting for a small French press. Not as consistent of a grind as I had hoped for. :(

rand

#4: Post by rand replying to gimpy »

I find the particle distribution to be pretty wide on these grinders. I would definitely try go the bunnzilla route. Also, not sure how handy you are, but there are also people who shorten the grinder. Cut off the top/bottom by a few inches so they fit under the cabinets above your counter. They definitely have quite a bit of potential.
Product development & Training. Car enthusiast. Roasting every now and then.

gimpy (original poster)

#5: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

It would be nice, rand, but the wife (she has final say on money matters, well, most anything :oops: ) has already put the kabosh to that route.

I did do a quick cleaning of the burrs this morning. Nothing was caked on too bad, everything came apart pretty easily.

I also adjusted the burrs. Before the adjustment, on Turkish setting, the burrs were chirping pretty good. I had wondered what that noise was-if maybe the motor or something was going bad- had to back it off a little to stop the chirping. The burrs are worn pretty good, but I'm keeping them for now.

I did grind for a single cup. With an empty hopper, I put in 18.0 grams in. I got out 16.6 grams using the drip (straight up at the 12 o'clock) setting. I made me a 256 gram cup of French press coffee. There was quite a bit of sludge in the cup, but I normally drink with a filter using the CCD or the inverted AP method.

This will be going somewhere in the garage to be used mostly for grinding a pound or so at a time for my cold brewer once or twice a month.

I may try it for single dosing my normal cup until the new/novelty wears off for me, but I do have the Feldgrind for that.

Edit: the plate on the back has "22102" on it and the burr had "9-02" on it, so I think was manufactured in 2002?

Devin H

#6: Post by Devin H »

gimpy wrote: Edit: the plate on the back has "22102" on it and the burr had "9-02" on it, so I think was manufactured in 2002?
Sounds right. My burrs have 2/00 on the back. 2000 manufacture year.

I modded mine to a bunnzilla but the stock grinder still tasted much 'juicier' than the likes of my capresso infinity grinder before it. I was quite pleased with it before hand but modded it to a bunnzilla to see what all the fuss was about. Does it edge out the stock burrs? Sure, but dont be bummed you've still got a great drip grinder for I'm assuming super cheap. How much you snag it for?

gimpy (original poster)

#7: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

It was not super cheap. $175.00. But, as I said, I bought it from a good friend, so I did not quibble or anything.

michael

#8: Post by michael »

a bargain, but I would definitely go the bunnzilla route 8)

gimpy (original poster)

#9: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

Hi, Michael. Right now I can only wish :|