OCD - ONA Coffee Distributor (tool for coffee in the portafilter basket)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

It is a $120US (approx.) pre-tamp levelling / distributing tool coming from Sasa Sestic (2015 WBC).

Seems like something more for use in a busy bar than at home - at home, I am guessing more time-consuming techniques like WDT might work just as well, maybe even better?

https://onacoffee.com.au/shop/ocd-ona-c ... stributor/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Aptly named :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

I Love this concept. If one's grinder is doing it's job, sending consistent weight into the basket, and clumping is light, this tool would seem the perfect way to assure a level puck, with a near perfect depth every millimeter of the basket. Fast, as well.
As to the WDT, that's a separate issue. I have no need for that with my Strega and K30 Vario. My ONLY concern would be that with the slight variances in diameter between my VST, HQ and IMS baskets, if one would have to find a happy medium with the OCD.

I actually find the device the exact OPPOSITE of the clinical "OCD" description. What could be easier and less fussy than a few twirls around the basket?
It could be described as a bit on the costly side for some of us home guys and ladies, but if you have, say 30 shots a year that become "Spousal Americanos" due to technical circumstances, that's saves some $$, and more importantly aggravation.

EDIT: Of course, one must have an even touch on the tamping as well. It is worthwhile going to their website.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Yep, I'm thinking that it is a neat concept - although setting the best depth might be tricky.

Unfortunately, the website won't accept Canadian (or American) addresses for delivery. However, I sent an e-mail in case that is just an oversight.

Edit to add: I heard back from ONA. The OCD's are in production now so they don't yet have box dimensions and shipping weight so they don't know the shipping cost.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I'm watching the video muted at work, so I may be missing something. But it looks like it's just grooming the top third of the bed?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

kwantfm

#6: Post by kwantfm replying to TomC »

Agreed... IMO it grooms, it doesn't redistribute.
LMWDP #602

FirstBetta

#7: Post by FirstBetta »

Seems to do the same thing that Phil McKnight's RAZOR does which is free with the BES920XL.

Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

FirstBetta wrote:Seems to do the same thing that Phil McKnight's RAZOR does which is free with the BES920XL.
The RAZOR is used after tamping, not before like the OCD. The RAZOR assures that the tamped coffee is at the (I assume) optimal thickness/depth for extraction in the relevant Breville espresso machine.

OTOH, using a RAZOR before tamping might do similar things, albeit at a fixed depth. Shades of Scottie Callaghan's dosing tools?

(What is it with Australians and fooling about with the basket contents, anyhow? :lol: )

aecletec

#9: Post by aecletec »

baldheadracing wrote: (What is it with Australians and fooling about with the basket contents, anyhow? :lol: )
Playing around in the dirt with our hands seems so unrefined now, right! :lol:

Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to aecletec »

I thought that the All Blacks took care of that :wink:.