NYTimes.com: Create the Perfect Cup of Coffee / Better Coffee Depends on Good Grinding

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
da gino

#1: Post by da gino »

Today the dining section leads with an article called "License to Brew" that I thought was fairly well written and then in the back "Better Cup Depends on Proper Grinding" complete with this sentence I enjoyed... "Some coffee fanatics regard the Mazzer Mini grinder, which costs about $600 as a good entry level grinder."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/dinin ... ining&_r=0

and

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/dinin ... nding.html

I thought both showed a good balance of shock at the "rabbit hole" we've gone down and yet respect for it.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

That second article is by Oliver Strand, and includes this wisdom:
(Before you ask: freezing hurts more than it helps. Coffee grounds are thirsty and want to drink in moisture. That includes whatever funky flavors are hiding in the frost.)
I wonder if his editor snuck that first sentence in? Now my NY times reading friends will be telling me how I'm doing it wrong.

Here's a good thread: Array/forums/coffee-journalism-vs-coffee-history-t22810.html, that includes a talk by Oliver Strand providing an interesting perspective on why good journalism might not have the information we would like to see.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

da gino (original poster)

#3: Post by da gino (original poster) »

I did think about that sentence, but I think in context it is probably correct. He is saying you can't buy preground coffee and freeze it and get good results and I expect that is almost certainly true even though it seems pretty clear that freezing whole beans works amazingly well as long as you do it right (although there are a few who disagree). I've never tried freezing preground coffee, but I suspect it wouldn't work well.

_Michael

#4: Post by _Michael »

Hi Hugh and Pat,

A quick peruse left me wondering if the quality of water should have been alluded to in some way. But, both articles are designed to encourage people to inquire moreso into the subject of coffee, I'm sure. It would be wise to avoid having the reader feel over-whelmed and then discouraged to begin the coffee journey. So I think it best that they "keep it simple" but helpful.

Michael

LaDan

#5: Post by LaDan »

(Before you ask: freezing hurts more than it helps. Coffee grounds are thirsty and want to drink in moisture. That includes whatever funky flavors are hiding in the frost.)
I don't understand why he feels he needs to say that? If you put the coffee in an air tight container like a Mason Jar it will not collect funky flavors from the frost, and will not drink to squelch its "thirst". Is he afraid that people just put the opened bag repeatedly back in the freezer every morning? All he needed to do is give that warning and instruction to use a Mason Jar or else.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

As da gino noticed, this was in the middle of a discussion about how you can't pregrind, so it was probably in the context of pregrinding and keeping that in the freezer. Also, it's very possible that the author's text started with something like "Unless you are freezing whole beans and take care to do it right, ..." and the Times editor economized and improved the flow by changing that to "Before you ask: "
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

LaDan

#7: Post by LaDan »

Like a product engineering department and the marketing department. Oh well.