New tamper from Perger - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Randy G.

#11: Post by Randy G. »

I saw the Perger tamper mentioned on /r coffee this morning and followed the link. I might have read the text there, but a page with about a 25% page-width column of CENTERED TEXT?! Really? I can think of far better ways to challenge my mind to resist a psychotic episode than trying to read that mess.
SlowRain wrote:For that price, I'm sure it includes a gyroscope, Wi-Fi, and 5GB of cloud storage for tamping profiles. And it better tweet!
Sounds good, but I think I will hold out for the programmable, force-profiling version with Bluetooth, real-time graphing with programmable alarms (visual and audible).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

beer&mathematics

#12: Post by beer&mathematics »

SlowRain wrote:For that price, I'm sure it includes a gyroscope, Wi-Fi, and 5GB of cloud storage for tamping profiles. And it better tweet!
+1 :lol:
LMWDP #431

Abnuceals

#13: Post by Abnuceals »

Highly expensive but really nice to look. :wink:
LMWDP 389

craigcharity

#14: Post by craigcharity »

I love the sarcasm and humor on HB so much :D :D :D

frank828

#15: Post by frank828 »

i'm having one made to "complement" my other gear.

probably not gonna notice anything. oh well, should be fun either way.

aecletec (original poster)

#16: Post by aecletec (original poster) »

Thanks for the links and directions, gentlemen.

IMAWriter

#17: Post by IMAWriter »

Prefacing this by saying I have yet to have a successful pull with my VST basket and Mr Pratt's awesome 58.35 tamper (which works VERY well in my HQ 14 gram basket)....in my Strega.

For pros like Mr Perger, and those here who prolly out do me technique wise, I really have less a problem with the Perger tamper and it's retail price than I do with it being designed ONLY for the VST basket.
I (perhaps incorrectly, yet righteously) disagree with Mr Perger's outright disdain for ALL baskets save the VST.
Again, perhaps in the hands of a professional our lowly baskets seem inadequate. However, as an amateur, I have found consistency with the HQ 14 gram basket, whether a 15 gram dose or 18 gram.

Am I saying it's the best it can be? WTHK? (Who The Heck Knows). For me, GREAT roasted COFFEE IN, even I can't muck it too bad. :lol:
That said, I have no doubt he could probably do better with my setup than I do, that's a given.

The point of all my blather? I think the "science" put forth regarding the Perger tamper, the CLAIMS need to be substantiated by a few independent experts before I would personally spend that many hard earned dollars on a "theory", valid as it may possibly be.

Apologies if in ANY way I seem disparaging of the tamper or Mr Perger. That is truly not my intention.

endlesscycles

#18: Post by endlesscycles »

-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

LaDan

#19: Post by LaDan »

Why you all be hatin on P ??

IMAWriter

#20: Post by IMAWriter »

I'd be more than willing to participate in a "pass-around" Perger tamper, pay the shipping to the next guy, etc. I have a VST basket, though not especially recommended for the Strega. A LM Strada as well.
Question is, how do we pay for it?

Considering Mr Perger's expertise, I'd not be surprised if it's all he claims. I'll just have to "re-program" myself to now accept it IS the tamper. So far, I've been making do with "distribute well, old padawan."