New home espresso bar design and set up advice wanted - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
espressotime

#21: Post by espressotime »

If I could change one thing it would be a bigger kitchen.
Most kitchens are too small.Too little counterspace.
If I would build a house from scratch I would incorporate a huge kitchen with lots and lots of counterspace.
In mine there isn't much room left to cook.

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

Now I find myself in a similar situation to Ken and Michael. We'll be neighbors. I won't be in Portland but just across the river in Ridgefield, WA. Our home is swarming with contractors as we pack up our California home, which we've sold. The new home has an area that will be a coffee bar. It's across from the kitchen and formal dining room.

It already has a water line and an electrical circuit, although I guess it will need more electrical than this.

There's a laundry room behind it that will shrink, but it needs space. I expect we'll move the wall back about a foot and the coffee gear will sit against the wall. That's where I'll plumb in the Conti Prestina and install a 240v outlet for the Caravel and who knows what else in the future? The counter will be black granite to match the kitchen.

We have our own well water, and there's so much scale we can see it in the bathroom faucets. I'm now contacting people who can test our water and recommend a right-sized system, one that sufficiently purifies our drinking water and the espresso machine water supply; we'll have to see what's needed for the whole house.

Here's the hallway with the kitchen to the right.

This is the kitchen.

It gets better. My North TJ-067 1 Kg propane roaster will live in here, where there's already a workshop for doing restorations. There may be some shop equipment in my future.

We won't start on the coffee bar project until we're actually living there, but for sure I'll be asking your advice and meeting fellow Portland area coffee hobbyists. I also plan to host some get-togethers.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#23: Post by TomC »

That kitchen (and the rest) is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see it all decked out and dialed in the way you want it. I envy your new roasting digs, as you already know :cry:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

Maybe we can host you for a Portland area coffee crawl and a roasting workshop. Just let us know. The house will have a guest bedroom and there's a large office and guest space on the second floor of that outbuilding.
Gary
LMWDP#308

doubleOsoul

#25: Post by doubleOsoul »

Wow... the home is just beautiful. And you have an area for roasting? You must be so excited!

keno (original poster)

#26: Post by keno (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Now I find myself in a similar situation to Ken and Michael. We'll be neighbors. I won't be in Portland but just across the river in Ridgefield, WA.

We won't start on the coffee bar project until we're actually living there, but for sure I'll be asking your advice and meeting fellow Portland area coffee hobbyists. I also plan to host some get-togethers.
Hey Gary, we'll be pretty close neighbors. I'm actually moving to Camas, WA which is also just the other side of the river from Portland. I'd definitely be interested in some get togethers so keep me posted. I arrive mid April.

Here is a picture of my espresso bar setup in mid construction. Note that I had the builder raise the cabinet height which will give me a little over 25 inches between countertop and cabinet. The sink will be on the left and we've got two outlets on the right. I'll post more pictures when it's done.

Martin

#27: Post by Martin »

I'd prefer taller-than-standard counters to standard or shorter. Tamping leverage has never been an issue for my one-to-a-few shots, and, being tall-ish, I like the visual angle to see the shot pour.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

Advertisement
TLD222

#28: Post by TLD222 »

keno wrote:Note that I had the builder raise the cabinet height which will give me a little over 25 inches between countertop and cabinet.
Maybe you've already taken these clearance reducers into consideration (they don't appear in the photo) but if you have under-cabinet lighting, there is typically a 2" trim rail that extends down from the upper cabinets that helps conceal the under-cabinet lights. And don't forget the thickness of your granite, soapstone, whatever countertop materiel. I've currently got 21.5" clearance between top of counter and bottom of trim rail. So when I get that titan grinder in a few months, I'll need to spend a couple days chopping a section of upper cabinet so it is an additional 4" higher.

It's also good you're planning on storing coffee down below. The under-cabinet lights have a tendency to warm the upper cabinets.

Maxwell Mooney

#29: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Gentlemen! Welcome to my lovely state! I would love to connect some time!

If y'all will be at SCAA, I'll be manning the Slate Coffee booth for a day and would love to serve y'all!

I definitely like white countertops as well. I'm working on installing open shelving over my coffee bar area to display nice wares and brew methods. Not sure if open shelving is an option you're considering, but it's nice for compact spaces as well.

Having good depth to work on and a built in knockbox is recommended. I find that for most things in a cafe, the pitcher rinser does as good a job or better than a sink (except washing dishes, of course). Quick rinses of shot glasses or demis, steam pitchers, etc rinsers are great. That said, their primary benefit is that of speed, which is paramount in a shop. A sink is certainly more versatile and may be a better option for you.

Your flow sounds great, but I like to put the knock box on the same side as the grinder- that way, I can brush stray grinds right into the knockbox (mine is flush mounted). This required me cutting a hole in my countertop but has been totally worth it so far.

Best of luck getting it all figured out! It's always so much fun!
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

drgary
Team HB

#30: Post by drgary »

We loaded up, roaster and all. This is our wonderful mover Stu Miller about to put the North TJ-067 onto the large shipping container that's on its way up here. He packed it tight so it's held as firmly as if it's crated.

He's about six feet tall and all of 165 lbs, but able to pull feats like this. He just picked up our washing machine and carried it over to the trailer.

We've finally arrived in WA after two days' drive towing a large trailer behind my new Forester. It was a long journey through amazing scenery and some hairy mountain passes we shared with large trucks. Now that we've unpacked our first kitchen boxes, here's my "basic" setup. My vintage machines all were in tow and will be set up again when their display area is built out. But now it feels like we're home.

We're in a small area of very nice houses but have moved from a tight-packed development into this neighborhood.* Life here will be different. We love it!

* Photo is courtesy of our friend and traveling companion, Louella Santobello.
Gary
LMWDP#308