Need water softener/calcite/carbon filter system advice

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
ljcoffeeguy

#1: Post by ljcoffeeguy »

Need a bit of advice.....

I have an RO system in the kitchen and have been using that connected straight to my Rancilio S27 with rotary pump for some time as it's plumbed in (convenient). For the Andreja pourover, I use about 1/2 tap and 1/2 RO. I've heard that the RO has issues, and have lacked that good espresso taste due to the water issues.

I have purchased from wateranywhere.com 3 10" housings and a softener, calcite and GAC carbon filters. Is this a good setup? in this order? I have hooked this up directly to the water line, not the RO.

While looking at the quality of water, the RO water is completely clear. After hooking up the above mentioned 3 filter setup and running over 5 + gallons through it to clear / purge, the color of the water is a bit hazy. Is this common due to the softener and/or calcite cartridge?

Yeah, I could have just bought the combination calcite/carbon cartridge from Chris Coffee, but thought a setup of the 3 independent cartridges would be best. Replacing cartridges for the above would be cheaper than for the RO.

Thanks all,
Darren

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I don't know the answer, but why not hook the calcite filter to the output of the RO system. Won't that give you what you want and be the simplest solution.

Ira

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

There's not much point to a calcite filter downstream of a softener. A softener does not remove minerals, it replaces calcium with sodium. A calcite filter adds some minerals to mineral free RO water in order to improve taste, help out the autofill on boilers, and reduce corrosion; none of these reasons applies to softened water.
Jim Schulman

MDL

#4: Post by MDL »

I concur. There is no reason to use a calcite cartridge in a softener system; they belong after an RO system. You should be set if you just plumb the calcite after your RO and use the softener/carbon for the other.
Good luck,
Mark

LaCrema

#5: Post by LaCrema »

I'm having difficulties understanding what you guys are talking about... if you use RO H20, why use a carbon filtration system? I sort of understand why you're using the water softener to add minerals, but I don't understand the use of RO in this equation when you could just use a carbon filter first, then go with the softener afterwards, thus eliminating your RO step? I'm definitely NOT the one to be giving advice on this one since people don't agree with me using just plain RO water in my machine... but regardless I'm still happy with the taste of my shots when I compare it to "corporate coffee."

Keep an eye on your machine's tank, I would like to hear if you're finding mineral deposits left over after a week or so... that was one of my main concerns and reason for switching to RO treated water until I learn how to descale my machine in the meantime to keep maintenance costs down.

This was a great post, thanks for touching base on this subject, it's giving me some things to think about. :)

Regards,
-Eric
"Outside the box Barista."