A versatile travel kit for brewing or espresso

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
javabass

#1: Post by javabass »

I know I've seen a lot of different travel setups on here in the past but I figured I would throw mine into the loop as well. I spend about 250 nights/year in a hotel room...so, needless to say a travel kit is a must-have. I've pieced together this setup over the past 3-4 years and have exchanged different pieces to end up with this setup, which is serving me pretty well. I use the aeropress setup more than anything, but I can exchange the aeropress for a 3-cup french press or small pourover and a few filters and keep everything else the same. This kit has also passed through TSA countless times with no problems...a few curious TSA agents have asked about it but they usually just smile when I explain what it is! (btw...I don't fly with the mypressi setup)

I've had several people ask me about my kit while traveling, so I figured I would post it here with links to the items and then I can just direct people here when explaining to them what is in the kit.

You can piece together this exact kit for approximately $160 or less, since you can obviously exchange certain items for cheaper options. Here's the list of the Aeropress Setup that I use on a daily basis:
  1. Aeropress ~$30
  2. Porlex JP-30 ~$40
  3. Able Disc Fine ~$12
  4. 12oz. Steaming Pitcher to boil water ~$9
  5. Analog Thermometer ~$5
  6. Not Neutral Lino Mug ~$17
  7. Blade Gram Scale ~$10
  8. Immersion Heater ~$10
  9. Gun Travel Case ~$30
There's still room left for about 1/2 lb. of beans once everything is in the kit.

I also can exchange the Aeropress and mug for a Mypressi, Demitasse, and Tamper and still fit everything just fine. I use SlowRain's Porlex Mod and have been able to get decent results for the MyPressi...especially for a hotel room. I will admit that this is a bit of a cumbersome process just to get a shot of espresso...especially with heating the water and then using it to preheat the Mypressi...but hey, I'd still rather spend 20 minutes of zen preparing it than settling for Hampton Inn's specialty brew! Right??

Anywho...that's my setup and I've grown fond of it over the last several years!
-Scott

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Nice! I've considered taking the Mypressi to hotels and cottages. So far I've only packed the Aeropress or press pot, along with my Hario Slim.

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

I like the immersion heater. need to get myself one of those as i'm tired of hoping there is a stove in the room haha.

Bikeminded

#4: Post by Bikeminded »

Thanks for posting. I've assembled an Aeropress travel kit, but need a decent case. Hadn't thought of a gun case.

Beezer

#5: Post by Beezer »

Very clean setup. Do you ever get any hassle about travelling with the NO2 cartridges? I thought those would violate TSA regulations.

Speaking of travel cases, I would like to use my Elektra Micro Casa a Leva as a travel machine, but it would be nice to have a good case for it. There used to be a case made specially for it that was really nice looking, but I can't find it anywhere now. It seems to be out of production. Anyone know of a good quality case that would fit this machine? I would probably take off the lever, dome, steam wand, etc. to transport it, but the dimensions are still a bit strange for most standard cases on the market right now.
Lock and load!

javabass (original poster)

#6: Post by javabass (original poster) »

Beezer wrote:Very clean setup. Do you ever get any hassle about travelling with the NO2 cartridges? I thought those would violate TSA regulations.
I don't fly with the MyPressi...just the aeropress! Although I've seen other users post a workaround where they travel with a TSA approved Life vest that uses N2O cartridges and seem to have had success with taking that through security.
-Scott

javabass (original poster)

#7: Post by javabass (original poster) »

brianl wrote:I like the immersion heater. need to get myself one of those as i'm tired of hoping there is a stove in the room haha.
I've been very pleased with it. I've read some people post about having to replace it every few months but I use mine multiple times a week and have had the same one for several years. Also with a metal pitcher, I've been able to get the water to come to a complete boil if desired, which many have said is not possible with an immersion heater. Not bad for $9!
-Scott

akiley

#8: Post by akiley »

Beezer wrote:Very clean setup. Do you ever get any hassle about travelling with the NO2 cartridges? I thought those would violate TSA regulations.

Speaking of travel cases, I would like to use my Elektra Micro Casa a Leva as a travel machine, but it would be nice to have a good case for it. There used to be a case made specially for it that was really nice looking, but I can't find it anywhere now. It seems to be out of production. Anyone know of a good quality case that would fit this machine? I would probably take off the lever, dome, steam wand, etc. to transport it, but the dimensions are still a bit strange for most standard cases on the market right now.
There are lots of places that will build you a custom case. Make sure they let you know how much it will weight. With a 25lb lever machine, you don't want to add too much more weight. Also look at LightWare cases. You could probably find one that fits your machine. They are light!

I have a MyPressi but broke down and got a Rossa HC-P. I travel places where I can't get cartridges easily. The Rossa pulls such nice shots that I prefer using it at home over my Andreja HX machine. Just did my first trip USA to BVI with it carry on. No questions one way, a hand inspection on the return. TSA guy didn't seem very concerned when he saw it.

Anyone have any thoughts on milk heating and frothing for a travel kit? Was looking at the Bellman stovetop cappuccino frother 50SS. Would need a heat source.

blueface

#9: Post by blueface »

Hey Scott, another interesting product which you can consider adding on for your travelling :lol: ....