My car dealer's coffee vending machine

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

So, I had a long wait for service at my Glendale (Calif.) car dealer yesterday. When I started to get drowsy, I noticed the waiting area had a coffee vending machine. I figured that with enough sugar and creamer, I could probably force it down. So I walked up to it and this is what I saw, a typical vending machine:

Then I took a closer look, and my jaw dropped on the floor.

It took a "strong" setting to dial it in (I tossed the "medium"), but it was very good indeed (I chose the Intelly). I asked to see the Service Manager, who said he had just installed the machine three weeks earlier, and that he intended to rotate the coffees among several local roasters and distributors. I thanked him and said it was probably reason enough to keep me returning.

When auto dealers start taking note of good coffee, I think it is a very good sign.
Marshall
Los Angeles

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

That's great. I usually have to resort to grinding and brewing my own coffee at the auto shop I use, using the hot water tap of their cooler and my Impress brewer.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

Marshall wrote:When auto dealers start taking note of good coffee, I think it is a very good sign.
I wonder what his H-B handle is?

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Wow!

Any chance of finding out how it works? Syrup? K-cup style packaging? Or you lucked out and got it the day it was reloaded?

But it is a good sign.
Jim Schulman

Marshall (original poster)

#5: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Fresh ground. The roaster labels were on the three bean hoppers.
Marshall
Los Angeles

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Vending machine with grinders -- love it. Now it makes sense why good roasters are buying in.
Jim Schulman

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

Cool its fresh ground but I thought intelli has been in pods for a while.

rjamadagni

#8: Post by rjamadagni »

The dealer I went to recently here in Atlanta has same or similar machine, but with standard Starbucks offerings. Felt like i was at work (all starbucks coffee).

chipman

#9: Post by chipman »

As fate would have it, I'm siting in the waiting room of my car shop drinking a cappuchino from what must be a similar machine. To make up for the only two choices of whole beans, they had donuts, bagels,and pastry.

doubleOsoul

#10: Post by doubleOsoul »

Which brings me to wonder: has anyone tried to make a 'pod' of their favorite roast and push it through
something like a Nespresso. I've been wanting to experiment for a while but I don't have anything around to try it out.