Milling Machines, Lathes, Drill Presses, etc. Recommendations - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
insatiableOne

#21: Post by insatiableOne »

well, this is what I have, made in the USA.
This machine can replicate itself! Has been the boast of Smithy for YEARS.
http://www.smithy.com/graniteOVERVIEW

With an explanation^^^ to many questions asked

ira
Team HB

#22: Post by ira »

insatiableOne wrote:well, this is what I have, made in the USA.
This machine can replicate itself! Has been the boast of Smithy for YEARS.
http://www.smithy.com/graniteOVERVIEW
I have a 1340 with the 2HP motor. Smithy's support is quite good, but it is made in China, not the USA. I looked on Craig's list for a long time and picked mine up still on it's wooden shipping base with the extra cost base and a fair amount of tooling for 1500. Grandpa bought it and died and the grandson didn't know what it was worth. Neither do I, but I bet I'll get more than 1500 when I sell it. I really needs cleaning and a complete going over which is a big job if you want to do it right. But that and the $400 Enco one my wife bought me have saved the day a fair amount of times.

Ira

insatiableOne

#23: Post by insatiableOne »

yep ira, :( just looked at the sticker.

I stand corrected, another US company selling china crap :?
They are outstanding machines for the quality vs cost.

rpavlis

#24: Post by rpavlis »

Another necessary shop machine is a band saw. There is a type of band saw that is made in Taiwan that is sold under many names. Practically every project begins by cutting a piece of metal stock to the right size. Grizzly also sells this machine under their brand name.

OldNuc

#25: Post by OldNuc »

For a band saw the magic size is a 14" floor model that has the gearbox so it will cut both wood and metal. This is the handiest general purpose power toll along with the 10" table saw. There are modern copies of the old, no longer made, Delta products that are quite good.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#26: Post by drgary (original poster) »

What are the quality features you would want (like the gearbox just mentioned)? What are minimum sizes for espresso machine restoration? I've been seeing pretty good prices for used gear locally, online.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#27: Post by OldNuc »

I was checking this AM on the local craigslist and there is plenty of tooling to be found. Delta 14" wood-metal cutting bandsaw is what you want. Any company that has a clone will show it in a search. These are all copies of the original 60s vintage Delta saw. If you find an original it may still have the 3 phase motor on it and they ar3e collectors items, do not scrap it. A good 2-3 hp modern motor will run one just fine. I think Grizzly has a clone and I bet Jet does as well as most parts will swap onto the original.

Smaller than 14" is not going to be real handy as with a 14" wheel you have about a 10" throat to work with. A 14" Delta bandsaw can be moved by a single person if on a wheeled base. You can not use the table for a handle when moving a bandsaw as they will break so this is a consideration. Find on that is already on the floor stand with wheels. This will require 2 people to easily load.

There is a model number for the Delta saw but the manuals that I have fail to mention it as when they were new they were all sold by wheel dimension, manufacturer, and function.

This is on the Omaha CL and probably can be had with everything else in the shop for that price as long as you haul it all away. A local bargain in the offing. http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/4665537988.html

This is a 14" Delta wood only but it is in real good condition and has extras. http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/4654975597.html

I did not find a wood-metal listed locally and did not do a wide area search. These prices are representitive of what to expect though.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#28: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Rich. That's great info on the Delta.

I've also seen local listings for combo lathe/mill/drill presses. When I was considering a drill press awhile back another knowledgeable H-B member (DJR) said I should avoid the belt driven models and make sure there's no slop. I saw an ad for a Grizzly combo unit, almost new for $900 and looked up online reviews. One said it was cumbersome to change modalities and the belts were challenging. So, I wonder what Rich and others might advise about features to look for or avoid in used machine tools and whether there are advantages to buying combo or separate units.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#29: Post by OldNuc »

Stand alone tools have it all over combo tools when it comes to adaptability to perform off normal maneuvers. A lathe is really not a milling machine but can be adapted with a milling adapter and using the head stock as a horizontal or vertical mount with a short stroke arbor does not really make it into a good vertical mill or drill press. These things do work and the good ones are mostly OK but eventually prove limited as there is a limited availability of attachments. The nice thing about the mini mills and lathes is there is a forest of attachments that are even affordable that fit them all without machining required steps. The mini tools are very popular and this drives availability and lower pricing. You can get CNC kits for these tools and people are doing small lot production work in their basements with them.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by FotonDrv »

OldNuc wrote:Stand alone tools have it all over combo tools when it comes to adaptability to perform off normal maneuvers.
AMEN!!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train