Mahlgut Adjustable Tampers

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Mahlgut has a pretty interesting range of adjustable tampers coming to market. I'm tempted to pick one up. They look very nice, the stainless steel version is calling out to me. Even their most premium version is significantly cheaper than the Pergtamp and likely even cheaper than the Levy tamper.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ShelbiRyan

#2: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I have mine on order, seems like a great dummy proof way to have a perfectly level tamp. The quick and unlimited adjustments sealed the deal for me. There are a few people that have them on this side of the pond that could maybe comment further. I will report back with some user experience when mine arrives.

Advertisement
spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

Using the full size (non-palm style) SS Mahlgut tamper in 58.3mm C and its great. The biggest hurdle/challenge dealing with Mahlgut, all things USA from Germany, is shipping, packaging (grinders mainly) and post-sale support if needed.
No Espresso = Depresso

ShelbiRyan

#4: Post by ShelbiRyan replying to spressomon »

Do you use VST baskets? I'm curious as to why you chose 58.3mm?

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

^ although I have VST baskets I have been using IMS baskets and overall much happier with them. 58.4mm might be the perfect fit but 58.3mm works and gives me a just a hair more nutating clearance and/or lower doses in the taller 26.5 baskets.
No Espresso = Depresso

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz »

TomC wrote:Mahlgut has a pretty interesting range of adjustable tampers coming to market. I'm tempted to pick one up.
Do it! I predict you will be really happy with it...and may never go back to a normal-style tamper.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

randyh

#7: Post by randyh »

spressomon wrote:Using the full size (non-palm style) SS Mahlgut tamper in 58.3mm C and its great. The biggest hurdle/challenge dealing with Mahlgut, all things USA from Germany, is shipping, packaging (grinders mainly) and post-sale support if needed.
Hi Dan,

I know you've dealt with Mahlgut quite a bit, so you're probably the resident expert here with all things Mahlgut. What was the shipping time you experienced with the tampers? I'm trying to time it so it will arrive around the time when my 58mm espresso machine will get to me.

Thanks!

Advertisement
CoffeeMac

#8: Post by CoffeeMac »

I ordered one; it ended up taking a little over 3 weeks from order to arriving at my door in California. They ended up sending me the wrong size (54.3 mm instead of 53.4 mm), so now I'm waiting to get the proper size tamper base which they immediately agreed to send.

I got the all metal version - I'm really impressed at the heft, the elegant design (just 3 parts of machined SS), and how well the locking mechanism works. Now if I could just use it with my La Spaz portafilter! :?
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to CoffeeMac »

I'd assume that the bases will fit any upper part. I have a San Marco group that's 1mm larger than your Spaziale. If they don't want to bother to deal with paying for return shipping on a part you can't use, maybe we can work out a deal. If the upper part works with any lower, I'd buy a unit for my Linea's 58mm and be stoked to have another for the Leva. But we can take that conversation to PM to keep this on topic.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

iuvare

#10: Post by iuvare »

CoffeeMac wrote:I ordered one; it ended up taking a little over 3 weeks from order to arriving at my door in California.
Same here. I placed an order on March 11th and it arrived on April 2nd. [Mahlgut "Tamper Palm" handle-less with a 58.4mm base for VST baskets].

Weighing in at 2.5 pounds, this thing is heavy. While I'm slowly getting accustomed to the weight, I think I'd prefer a lighter handle with the same base.

For those on the fence, here's the cost breakdown (from Germany to Los Angeles):
$136.96 tamper cost
$17.81 shipping (DHL)
$154.89 TOTAL

**Hat tip to Ira for providing the lead in the "The Levy Tamper - Saint Anthony industries, thoughts?" thread.**