Life is Good!

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
sasquatchgeoff

#1: Post by sasquatchgeoff »

Loyalty to my corner cafe (Stumptown reseller) has its perks! Walked in to buy my usual pound of beans this morning and was unexpectedly rewarded with three pounds for the price of one.

doubleOsoul

#2: Post by doubleOsoul »

Nice karma.
:)

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

I love hairbender. It's been my main espresso for the last 10 days or so. Very flexible blend.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LaDan

#4: Post by LaDan »

Nice krema indeed. ;)

I had a surprising similar experience with Stumptown in NYC. (Who said that New Yorkers are not nice, huh?? :evil: ) LOL

I went in to buy a pound of HairBender and mistook the darkened jar price for the regular bag price. She ranged me about $30+ and saw the confusion on my face.. No, no, I put it back, and grabbed two bags. Then ordered an espresso. A little bit of commenting of how much I love their coffee, and she asked me if I have a grinder, yes, I have an excellent grinder... so I showed her a picture on my cell phone of my gear. The three baristas there passed the phone around to look closely and seemed genuinely intrigued. (It is always surprising though how little professional baristas in general know about home gear. I usually get the "I only worked on a LM").

Anyway, time to put the money on the table. 2 bags + espresso and at about $18-$19 per bag + the shot I was somewhere around $40, right? I pulled my credit card and "oh, sorry, we are not taking credit cards". Cash only. I looked for cash and I could only scrapped $17. :-( ... Well, I said I only have $15 because I want to tip you $2, so I'll only take the espresso.

What she did then completely blew me away. She said, "The espresso, I am giving you. And I'm giving you the beans for the $17". "But what about your tip, I want to tip you". ... "Tip me next time" with a smile. OK, so one bag for $17? Nope, she is giving me the 2 bags + the espresso for $17. Really??? Quite shocked I asked her, Why would you do that??? "We like it when people are excited about coffee! And I don't want to disappoint you. You wanted to buy 2 pounds!". Wow. She gave me all of this for less than the price of one bag. Thanks, Stumptown!

sasquatchgeoff (original poster)

#5: Post by sasquatchgeoff (original poster) »

Great story. Its always good to hear about good folks. Wow, you'd think where I live (the town where it was originally roasted) I would be able to get a better price. But $18-19/lb is about what I pay for it here. Most retails have 12 oz bags, which would last me about 3-4 days, :oops: so I have to get a pound at least to get me through to the weekend. Stumptown is a good company. I have discussed this fact with the cafe owner and he swears by their service and business philosophy.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

A few months ago at a local independent Stumptown affiliate, I bought a bag of Hairbender according to the card, but it was mislabelled on the stamp underneath. I thought it did not taste like Hairbender and I wanted to know if I were correct. I emailed them and explained that I thought I had probably received House Blend instead of Hairbender. The person who responded could not determine if such had occurred but sent me out a replacement bag of Hairbender. That was nice.
LMWDP #198