The Levy Tamper - Saint Anthony industries, thoughts?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HBchris

#1: Post by HBchris »

I just came across this and it has me very intrigued... curious others thoughts on it:

heres some Instagram videos they posted:

on their site here:
https://stanthonyind.com/collections/tamps-tools

SAB

#2: Post by SAB »

HBchris wrote:I just came across this and it has me very intrigued... curious others thoughts on it:
1. Nice looking

2. Easy to get perfectly level tamp

3. Falls into the camp of "leveling and polishing the puck is more important than the precise amount of pressure you place"

4. Might be a bit hard to use if you're changing coffees frequently, especially different roast levels (volume per weight changes, which may make dialing in the spacers a bit tough).

5. Expensive.

6. Could be fun to use...I love a good polishing spin! :D

HBchris (original poster)

#3: Post by HBchris (original poster) »

#4 would concern me...

Though I was thinking if you are using the same basket (i tend to use 18g VST), that I might be able to pick a spacer that would work regardless of coffee. So the tamp would just ensure it always getting the same depth in the basket. Some coffees might end up with a bit more than 30lbs pressure, while some might end up with a bit less. However since this would be extremely consistent, was thinking it shouldnt matter.

But if i needed to constantly change the spacer for different coffee's, i think it would get annoying.

Stereo Heathen

#4: Post by Stereo Heathen »

I bought one recently, and received it just yesterday. I have yet to use it, but I'm definitely excited to. The amount of tamper spinning in those videos is pretty darn silly, though.

My intended use for it is at work (at a coffee shop), where our espresso stays the same for a couple months at a time, so spacer-changing shouldn't be any big deal.

pngboy

#5: Post by pngboy »

looked pretty exciting ... then is saw the price tag

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz »

$139??? I made one out of firewood (Madrone) and a tamper head I got on ebay for $5:

It doesn't require washers. The head just screws into the wood part to the degree you want it. I love it! I use it all the time. In my experience and that of many others, the need for 30 lbs. of tamping pressure is a myth...as the OE slap shot demonstrates: SLAP SHOT
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

I built one of those fixed depth tampers about a year ago out of high density polyethylene for use with the 49mm La Pavoni baskets to get 1mm of headspace. Works great as long as you have enough coffee in the basket to compress. Mine is not adjustable, sa no point in making it adjustable. The headspace is critical but the tamp pressure is not as long as it is reasonably consistent.

RioCruz

#8: Post by RioCruz »

OldNuc wrote:Mine is not adjustable, sa no point in making it adjustable.
The first one I made was fixed. Then I decided to make an adjustable one, but...as you say...it really isn't necessary as long as the dose is consistent.

How do you like using yours? I've come to use mine almost exclusively. Love the simplicity, consistency and ease of use.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

I left a nice ridge to sit on the edge of the basket and after figuring out what the allowable max-min dose range is I use it constantly. It may not be a winner in a spring lever or pump machine but with a manual lever it works just fine.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

Mahlgut makes on that works the same. If you like machined stainless, it's a lovely example of that style. Weight 1128 grams, feels almost heavy enough you won't have to press much. Infinite adjustment. I've not had a chance to try it yet, need to get a free day to clean up the espresso machine as it's not been used in a while.

Ira