Length of Reg Barber tamper handle screw?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Hi guys
Simple question. How long is the screw on the Reg Barber handle, and do anyone know if the length varies between handles? Looking into getting a tamper base made from a local metalworker, and i really like the looks of some of the RB handles.

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

Here's a Reg Barber tamper taken apart. The screw is about 18mm in length.

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Thank you for the picture, didn't know the screw can unscrew from both the handle and the base. Can you tell me how long the screw is when it's in the handle, and perhaps the diameter?

NightFlight

#4: Post by NightFlight »

The set screws are 3/8-16 UNC.

#5: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Thanks a lot guys. I might soon need a 43,5 tamper, and those aren't easy to find where i live, so i thought about having a simple one made, kinda like the tampers from OE and then buy a handle from RB to put on it. Just if you were wondering why I was asking.

Ellejaycafe

#6: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Just an FYI the screw on the wooden handles (I own 3 different ones) are imbedded into the wood. I also own a powder coated handle and the screw on it comes completely out.
LMWDP #544

#7: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Thanks Elle. This might make the wood one a better choice, since i just want a tamper base that the handle can screw on to, don't need to be able to remove the screw.