Le lait en France - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
iginfect

#21: Post by iginfect »

Most cafes where I got cafe creme in the 70's used UHF semi-skimmed, probably 2%, milk. This is stored at room temp in cartons as the ultra high flash pasteurization doesn't require refrigeration until opened. The taste is different, creamier for me. What this does to frothing I have no idea.

Marvin, the ex ex-pat.

misterdoggy

#22: Post by misterdoggy »

I think its similar today. I buy "bio" brand skim milk thats "longue duree" that can store for a long time on the shelf. Once opened, you have to refrigerate. It is indeed cremier and maybe that's why I am having no trouble steaming up loads of microfoam. And its "0%" fat or so they say.

Richard

#23: Post by Richard »

iginfect wrote:. . . UHF semi-skimmed, probably 2%, milk. . . . What this does to frothing I have no idea.
I believe Parmalat-branded milk is available on the grocery store shelves in New York State. I have seen it in Albany, and it's on my local grocer's shelves in Massachusetts. I seldom use it because it's something like $2.50/quart, but I do find it easier to achieve a long-lasting microfroth with Parmalat than with refrigerated milk from the dairy cooler.
-- Richard

HB
Admin

#24: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:If we ever needed a "HIDE THIS THREAD" option, this is it !!!
You can add someone to your foe list and it will suppress the display of their posts. It does not hide the entire thread however. That said, this site intentionally does not have an "off topics" forum, and this thread has clearly ventured well into that territory. Gentlemen, please take your discussion of non-espresso related topics offline. I am locking this thread for a day or two to allow the chatter meter to settle down. Thanks.
Dan Kehn