Kitchen counter upgrades

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
smillions

#1: Post by smillions »

My wife and I are looking at getting the counter tops in our kitchen replaced and in the negotiations, I have managed to acquire a 3' 9" chunk of counter space exclusively for the espresso gear. I have access to the wall behind the cabinets via a broom closet under the stairs, so I plan to install a small sink and run a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I am not planning any upgrades to my equipment at this point, but I do want to take reasonable precautions to accommodate future upgrades.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to install a water supply line and drain such that it will not look unattractive and should work with most home espresso makers. I am restricting this to 'home' gear because I still have to fit it under the upper cabinets and 3' 9" isn't a lot of space if you start filling it with commercial equipment.

Also, what else should I consider? Any features you have (or wish you had) in your coffee making work space?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I put in a small, 1 foot round, bar sink. For pour over machines, this is fine for getting water and rinsing things off. If you water want a plumbed in machine, you can remove the sink and use the water and drain lines for the plumb-in.

If an electrician is coming in, have them run the complementary 110 leg too, so you can handle a 220 volt machine with a simple fuse and plug changes, if one is in your future
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
Training Wheels

#3: Post by Training Wheels »

How did this turn out? I assume you finished as you posted this in Feb. Was the electrical really that simple to just change a fuse and the outlet style of an already existing outlet?

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

Training Wheels wrote:How did this turn out? I assume you finished as you posted this in Feb . . .
Uh -- "by smillions on Mon May 04, 2009 8:11 pm" -- it was posted less than 10 hours before you posted . . . :wink:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

smillions (original poster)

#5: Post by smillions (original poster) »

Training Wheels wrote:How did this turn out? I assume you finished as you posted this in Feb. Was the electrical really that simple to just change a fuse and the outlet style of an already existing outlet?
You are confusing the date I joined with the date I posted.

As for the question about the electrical, what Jim is saying is, If you install a split duplex 110v outlet you have two independent 110v legs coming into the box. You can change this to a single 220v outlet by replacing the two 110v breakers with a single 220v breaker and replace the split duplex outlet with a 220v outlet. Yes, it is that simple if you have the wiring in place to support it.

zin1953

#6: Post by zin1953 »

Were I to have done this from scratch . . .

Keep in mind I took existing counter space . . . all I did was to run in a 110v/20A line, and drill two holes through the granite countertop for the water and drain lines. Behind the brush, you can see the 20A surge suppressor, and past that is the electrical cord from the 15A surge suppressor into the "regular" wall outlet. You cannot see the sink, but it is behind the machine. (The counter runs along the wall, and then -- in a "L" shape -- comes away from the wall; the espresso setup is on the short "leg" of the "L".)

From scratch, I'd make the sink more convenient. In other words, instead of walking around the short leg of the L to get to the sink, I'd put in a second sink next to the machine -- it's not walking the 10 steps that's a problem, and indeed, I have no desire to re-design or move anything about my setup. But having the sink closer would be much more convenient.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

zin1953 wrote: . . . all I did was to run in a 110v/20A line, and drill two holes through the granite countertop for the water and drain lines.
I wasn't aware that drilling holes through granite was an "all I did" kind of project. I thought you needed a professional fabricator with the special drill bits that do this without destroying the counter or the drill (and a second person with a vacuum to control the granite dust). Please explain.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
Training Wheels

#8: Post by Training Wheels »

Oops... :oops: hehe, sorry 'bout that. Can you tell I am a newbie?! haha!

zin1953

#9: Post by zin1953 »

Speaking metaphorically . . . I had to get specialized drill bits -- plural -- and the plumber and I took several hours to accomplish the installation.

Arpi

#10: Post by Arpi »

Hi Folks. Let me share my story :) I've just finish doing my granite counter top. I did the counter top with 12" granite tiles. It cuts better than tile. Don't know about drilling a hole through but it depends on the thickness.. The total cost was only about $200 (27 tiles). On the lower left corner of this picture, you can see the lines for the espresso machine (water input, exit and power), which connect to my sink through the side.