K-cup inventor feels bad for making them

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Nate42

#1: Post by Nate42 »

http://time.com/3731356/keurig-coffee-k-cup/

Thought it was kinda amusing that even their creator doesn't like them. I particularly like this quote:
"I don't have one. They're kind of expensive to use," Sylvan said of Keurig K-Cups. "Plus it's not like drip coffee is tough to make."

SlowRain

#2: Post by SlowRain »

The story was originally published in The Atlantic a couple days ago. It goes into more depth.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... em/386501/

Andy

#3: Post by Andy »

I feel bad that he made them, too.

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I don't feel bad, as we can now get half-decent coffee in many more places, like the doctor's office and auto repair store. Remember what used to be served?
Scott
LMWDP #248

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

His original idea was for better coffee at work. Hand grinders and the Aeropress or single-serve pourover seem to have solved that efficiently enough in most cases (but not all). The fact that they've spread into homes attests to the laziness of modern society. As already mentioned, the inventor himself says it's not too difficult to make a decent cup of coffee.

I've actually never been in a clinic or garage and thought I needed a coffee enough to contribute to the degradation of the environment for it. A water cooler suffices in those situations when one is thirsty and can't easily go out. Reading material, yes. Coffee, not necessary.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

The last time I used a Keurig was 1 week ago, with my dog in the Vet's office. Just try using an Aeropress with a rambunctious Boston Terrier on a leash!
Scott
LMWDP #248

jbviau
Supporter ★

#7: Post by jbviau »

^^^ LOL.

Even in my single-serve days, I was much more into soft pods than k-cups, in part for environmental reasons. So I'm sympathetic to this guy's argument, of course. However, I can't help but think that he'd probably feel much better about having invented k-cups if he'd negotiated a deal involving royalties way back when instead of taking a [small] lump sum payment.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Intrepid510

#8: Post by Intrepid510 replying to jbviau »

Yeah easy to quite concerns about the environment if he was racking in even a very small portions of the money made on them.

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

sweaner wrote:The last time I used a Keurig was 1 week ago, with my dog in the Vet's office. Just try using an Aeropress with a rambunctious Boston Terrier on a leash!
DUDE! If the dog is already hyper you should NOT be making him coffee! :lol:
Maybe trade him in on a German Shepherd that can make his OWN damn coffee! If you want to be a slave to your pet, get a cat.. :lol:

From a guy with two GSDs and a slave to 3 indoor cats...
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Intrepid510 wrote:Yeah easy to quite concerns about the environment if he was racking in even a very small portions of the money made on them.
He took the money and bought Green Mountain stock. He isn't poor.

He does have the bright idea - the way to go is concentrate. A cup of coffee in something like a ketchup packet. Just add water and stir. It'll happen sooner or later, and it will change the coffee industry.

And to beat a dead horse - the article also mentions what is by far the most 'eco' form of coffee - freeze-dried instant coffee.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada