James Hoffmann's "Atlas of Coffee" on its way (in October) - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kwantfm

#21: Post by kwantfm »

Peppersass' review is accurate from my perspective. This is a wonderful and high quality book. Well done JH!
LMWDP #602

Marshall (original poster)

#22: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Already gifted to my barista nephew.
Marshall
Los Angeles

aecletec

#23: Post by aecletec »

Er, not everyone uses US English.
Roasters tell me that crops can change too often to justify very detailed descriptors for regions.

SomersetDee

#24: Post by SomersetDee »

Hi Jim,
A big thank you! Excellent book. Immensely enjoyable. Not heavily bogged down with encyclopaedic details. Complex, detailed and 'full bodied' with a nice after taste :)
regards
Dee

Eastsideloco

#25: Post by Eastsideloco »

Ditto. Excellent addition to the coffee library. Handsome volume. The "coffee origins" info is unique, to my knowledge. I don't know where you'd find that all in one place. But that "atlas" is only 50% of the book by volume, as it were. The first half of the book includes an intro to coffee & an exploration of the bean to cup process. While this didn't contain as much info that was new to me per se, I thought Hoffman's concise treatment of the material was authoritative, informative and, when necessary, diplomatic. It's not an overly complex volume, but it is satisfying and approachable. (Good Christmas gift option this year.)

King Seven

#26: Post by King Seven »

Thanks all - really appreciate people's feedback on the book. (No one really writes book reviews for this sort of thing, so this is one of the main ways of getting feedback for me).

Thanks for the typo catch - I knew one would sneak in there somewhere...

As for taste profiles - this was a tricky one. I battled with the publishers on putting in taste notes, as I was against it in many ways. There's now so much diversity within most producing countries that it is really hard to cover all of what is there accurately. Equally I'd hate for someone to ignore a country's production because of a word or description I'd used. However, I think you can make fairly broad statements about most producing countries - but they have to be pretty broad to be vaguely right. You cup enough coffees from Rwanda and you start to see some commonalities - and those are perhaps worth commenting on and sharing. I'd welcome further feedback and discussion on this...

Once again - thank you all for the kind words. It was a very difficult book to produce (damn near killed me), but I'm glad the pain was worthwhile.

Eastsideloco

#27: Post by Eastsideloco »

Sprudge interview w/ James Hoffmann, aka King Seven, here:

http://sprudge.com/james-hoffmann-world ... offee.html

Congratulations on the additional print runs!