Is that coffee watered down enough for you, sir?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

Maybe not at Peet's
Adam H. Callaghan wrote:Peet's Coffee & Tea, on a recent buying spree with acquisitions of Intelligentsia Coffee and Stumptown Coffee, is being sued by a customer who alleges its French press servings fall short of advertised volumes. "The lawsuit filed by Robert Garrett in Cook County Circuit Court alleges that the amount of total coffee in the press pots is more than 25 percent less than the advertised volume," the Chicago Tribune reports.
Jim Schulman

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Peet's nixed their line of really good loose leaf teas recently. It was the lone remaining reason I had to enter their stores.

Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Jeez our litigation system is a joke.

For those that don't want to click the link it's a suit filed saying that the coffee ordered as a French press is less than the 12 oz it is advertised to be.

I think the suit should be filed against the barista that ground drip size coffee for the press and then almost sprayed herself with coffee as she had to forcefully push down at which point i told her to stop and try again.

Arpi

#4: Post by Arpi »

That is interesting. If they made a cup of coffee in a 12 cup brewer, could they advertise it as a 12 cup of coffee?

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Peets might have made the mistake of putting 12oz & 32oz on the menu descriptions without defining it properly. They should fix the menu or barista training so that the customer gets the right image of what they are buying. Lawsuit might be extreme though.

Unfortunately it is a problem that many companies do things like this on purpose, as I had an issue with a local dairy when buying butter in bulk who was shorting all butter pounds by 1-2%. Their contention was that with the wrapper on the butter it comes to almost a pound! :? I told them that I expected all future orders to be corrected or I'll report it to the State Weights & Measures to get them calibrated correctly. After that buying wholesale or retail I found their butter to be correct to the gram. No need for lawyers if you aren't looking for money, but I did get a free bulk order as thanks or probably to hush me up!
LMWDP #445

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Lawsuit for a thing like this? ...you would not believe how much we Europeans laugh about this kind of lawsuits...even if it is stupid to mislead your customers, whether on purpose or by mistake, the amounts involved in these lawsuits are usually simply ridiculous and beyond any reality.
LMWDP #483

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

It may seem frivolous but I empathize with the plaintiffs. The simple fact is that corporations like Peet's will do anything and everything to screw you out of your money. That's their duty to their shareholders, to maximize profits.

So when they deliver a 10oz coffee and call it 12oz I say take them to court.

Look at what VW did.

brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

Complain with your wallet. Better off just listing sizes ( s m l) if people are going to nit pick

farmroast

#9: Post by farmroast »

They have to look into it? really? :lol: As if no one realized it could be misunderstood :roll:
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

jpreiser

#10: Post by jpreiser »

Not really that much different than bars/pubs in the US that are selling pints of beer that are in 16oz brim measure mixing/shaker/sleeve glasses and then pour 1-inch of head. Given the taper of the glass, that 1-inch is about 2oz of liquid. I really like the places that either use over-sized glasses with a line (and then pour liquid to the line) so I get a pint (0.5l, whatever).

I have heard some places were sued or reported to the local weights and measure board but did not follow the results.

To get around the above, or even the issue originally reported, places can just advertise a "glass" of beer or even the glass size (irrespective of the quantity within the glass) or just switch to s/m/l/xl/etc relative sizing.

While a lawsuit might be overkill, voting with one's wallet and quietly going elsewhere doesn't notify the vendor that they are doing something wrong.