Invergo (Kickstarter) - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
michael

#41: Post by michael »

I wouldn't serve stale coffee either, but im talking 5 - 10 minutes before the s.o. makes it into the kitchen; she likes her coffee hot; how long do you think it takes coffee to go stale in your basic thermos that come with the better home brewers

btw, not sure ill be brewing anything with my invergo after that update 8)

Bob_McBob

#42: Post by Bob_McBob »

Thinking back, I do recall being quite surprised by the $25,000 funding goal, given the creator was originally asking for 10 times as much in the first failed Kickstarter attempt. It kind of seems like he lowered the funding level for the express purpose of receiving start-up capital from a successful KS project. What does ~$32,000 after fees actually get you in terms of production setup costs for this sort of thing?

I'm curious to know whether Invergo has responded to backers, given the flurry of hidden activity on the private update.
Chris

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Bob_McBob wrote: I'm curious to know whether Invergo has responded to backers, given the flurry of hidden activity on the private update.
Yes, one update that does nothing to help the situation seem any better
Creator Cameron Hughes wrote: No one wants this to succeed more than I do. I have spent the last two years on this project and since the kickstarter has ended I have been working non stop. Yes of course I am requesting additional funding as many other kickstarter projects have just go to Angle.co or Fundable.com and you will see a myriad of other creator's projects. I am not saying progress has stalled because it hasn't it is just more work has to be done before we can start manufacturing.
He does not answer any of the direct questions asked in the over 20 comments posted by backers.

The interesting thing is he is going to publicly speak at SXSW about coffee technology:
From the Invergo Kickstarter Update Post wrote: Invergo has been selected by SXSW to speak at the south bites portion of the festival in March of next year. I included a link to it and also a description of what we will be speaking about.

Next Wave Coffee: Technology and the Way We Drink

For centuries, coffee drinkers have been chasing a better cup using ever-more sophisticated methods. Today, principles of chemistry and physics are informing ultra-high-tech solutions to the problem of how to extract the best flavor from beans. This panel will explore the next wave of innovative coffee gear, from a hardware-software package that uses light to diagnose brewing problems to a brewer that aims to mimic how the human hand pours water over grounds. Plus, we'll explain how people can brew coffee at home that competes with the best from any shop.

Speakers

Lawrence Marcus Food & Wine

Erin Meister Counter Culture Coffee

Cameron Hughes Invergo Coffee
Seems a really odd choice for SXSW to select, when there are so many coffee innovators out there really making and selling products, like the Dragon, or the SteamPunk, or Slayer. I wonder if he will get asked about the project progress by backers during the presentation at SXSW, anyone here live in Austin that can go?
LMWDP #371

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#44: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

As this thread's OP I just have to say I agree with all the sentiments expressed. I am trying to maintain my optimism as well; the SXSW vote of confidence is heartening. But I am fully disappointed in the disingenuous nature of the lie of omission. His reply is not acceptable. "Other people mislead kickstarter backers, so I did it too, and it's no big deal" doesn't fly with me. Be that as it may, I really want an Invergo. I'm holding out hope that someday I'll get one. Hey, maybe he's right, and his successful kickstarter ploy will attract the big bucks.

SJM

#45: Post by SJM »

SpromoSapiens wrote:Hey, maybe he's right, and his successful kickstarter ploy will attract the big bucks.
But it may damage Kickstarter ???
This was the first Kickstarter project I backed.
It will also be my last.

Susan

#46: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

It was my first, as well. And the sad thing is that I was almost going to console myself by retreating to the Mark Prince endorsement, figuring "hey, if I've been duped, at least I'm still in league with the likes of Mark Prince, who also got duped by the this project." But then i took a gander and saw this comment, as of 5hrs ago:
Mark Prince (in Kickstarter comments) wrote:Cameron, your response today doesn't instill any confidence or assuage any doubts. I think at this point you need to be crystal clear on what will happen to Kickstarter backers and their money should your attempts to get investor money from third parties fails. I note the only investor so far is a relative on your angel seeding website.

People invested in this product and you in good faith based on your Kickstarter campaign and your promises and schedule. At no point in your Kickstarter campaign did you say "this project is contingent on me raising $XXXXX dollars from third party investors after this Kickstarter campaign is over". People invested, expecting you to keep to your schedule and promises.

You'll need a lot more transparency at this point, including your contingency plans for dealing with your KS backers, before you'll gain some trust back.
So I guess I'm still in league with him, i.e. we're pretty pi$$ed.

#47: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

He posted a damage-control update.
Came a little cleaner about his plans, his funds, and his spending. Too little, too late? Perhaps, but he's already got our money, so I certainly still hold out hope that his plan works. Anyway I posted my feelings in a comment on Kickstarter, which I think it probably the more appropriate place to do it.

[creative nickname]

#48: Post by [creative nickname] »

For those who are curious:
Cameron Hughes wrote:Hello all, There have been some questions as well as some confusion and I would like to clear some things up. Progress Progress has not stalled because we have not yet secured a large investment. There is a lot more development we have to do before we start manufacturing. These are things such as securing supply chains for parts and PCB development and integration. We are currently still working on these as we are looking for investors. Why I used Kickstarter We had originally planned to get all the funding through kickstarter in our first project. However the first project failed. That gave us time to take a step back from our project and make a few changes to the machine as well as go with a different strategy. We used Kickstarter in order to further development of the prototype; to get it to the point where it would be ready to be mass manufactured. Another reason is it gave us the necessary traction to be accepted into a business accelerator and we are now extremely confident that we will secure an investment. We have a business plan together and we are confident in the viability of the project and the scope of the business. The reason we didn't tell you about the external funding is we honestly thought that because the goal was set relatively low that you would assume that the money from kickstarter would not be the sole funding source. This is our mistake and we should have disclosed the need for additional capital in the kickstarter. Money Funding as of now $7,500 of my own money as well as from family $32,000 from kickstarter after fees $29,000 is remaining. How the money has been spent $6,000 to build the prototype $1,000 for miscellaneous tools and equipment $500 to set up the Kickstarter $1,500 to CNC the master molds $1,000 on materials and equipment for slip casting ceramics $500 for legal fees If We Fail to Raise Additional Capital This is very unlikely but if we do, will ship everyone the ceramic set as well as refund all the remaining money. Regards, Cameron Hughes | CEO & Founder | Invergo Coffee
And for comparison, here are the earlier statements from the Kickstarter page regarding the schedule and risks involved in backing them:
Product Development

Ideation: The idea for this project was born out of necessity. There are simply no good automatic coffee machines that can make a single-serving or a carafe.

Design: After developing a solution, we started sketching, building models and prototypes. This allowed us to further refine the details of the machine and ensure a beautiful design that can proudly be displayed on countertops.

Develop: This is the current step in the process. We a have a fully functional prototype and are translating it into a product that can be manufactured. This involves quite a bit of work but, fortunately, nearly all of the engineering and design have been accounted for.

Production: This is the next step in the process, it involves tooling, setting a supply chain for all parts and certification.

July 2014 We will begin by creating the electronics systems with all the finalized production parts. We will make sure all the parts work in unison and that they function properly.

August 2014 After all the internal systems are translated to a production worthy design we will begin creating all the plastic parts by rapid prototyping them. This will be done to ensure that all the parts fit within the casing correctly and that everything functions as it should. Once the pre production prototype is complete we will send off the final designs to be tooled.

September 2014 Tooling is the next process, this step includes the creation of injection molds and other manufacturing components. Also during this time any sourced parts will be secured for our supply chain.

October 2014 By this time we will have a fully functional production prototype. This prototype will then be sent off for certification for home use. During this time we will also create all the packaging and instruction. (Any problems during this process may lead to small design changes.)

November Once certification is completed, we will conduct our final production verification and start mass production.

December 2014 The final step is importing Invergo, and shipping it to your doorstep.

Risks and Challenges:

Almost all the final details of the engineering, design and internal components have been developed. The next stage is securing a supply chain, all the internal components and deciding on a manufacturer. Small hiccups in the supply chain and manufacturing are inevitable and could cause delays.

From the beginning of development, we at Invergo have been conscious of certification compliance and general safety. In accordance with these safety regulations we must submit our product to a certification agency guaranteeing its compliance. Successful production depends on rigorous testing and approval is contingent upon this certification. This contingency could result in small design tweaks that may delay production.
I search it in vain for any warnings that final production was dependent upon raising substantial amounts of additional capital. To be sure, one takes risks when backing ventures like this, but the way this was described when they were seeking funds seems more than a little misleading.

Nevertheless, I will try to remain hopeful that they will attract the necessary funding and deliver a product to their backers. The basic design and the feature-set, if it ever comes into fruition, would be a very attractive package.
LMWDP #435

SJM

#49: Post by SJM »

Unfortunately, whether or not we ever get the products we wagered on, the pleasure that went along with the anticipation? the pleasure that we helped to make it happen? All that got wiped away and what is left is resentment and a feeling of having been taken. Cameron Hughes, whether or not he ever delivers the Invergo, will live on not as the cool guy who invented it but as the guy who hoodwinked us.

Too bad...

DanoM

#50: Post by DanoM »

Sounds like a Wall Street investment management position is in Mr Hughes' future... :shock:
LMWDP #445