An interesting article about drinking espresso minus the crema

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#1: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Food52: The Easy-But-Heretical Fix for Bitter Espresso. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwzOHMyTU

I would love to read the opinions of those interested in this article. I can't drink a straight up shot of espresso but many of the forum members can. So what say you?
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

Tom,

I think straight espresso is an acquired taste, but it is also the best way to really get to know the nuanced flavors of different beans and roasts. The crema is a part of it, and I've actually never tried it with the crema removed. I also don't sip it. I drink it in one or two swallows to get the best balanced flavor and finish.

Rocky

Advertisement
aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

My fix is to not brew espresso that tastes of bitterness.

In before flavour-balance bitterness-component people - yes I know bitter substances are in there, but they're balanced out if brewed with specific beans, methods, etc.

thepilgrimsdream

#4: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I pull my espresso into wide mouth cappuccino cups.

The mass helps cool the espresso quicker and the surface area helps disperse the crema.

I do think a Seattle style ristretto lends its self to having the crema add to the mouth feel, but with modern light roasted espresso where flavor clarity, origin charictoristic and sweetness define the experience, crema does get in the way

Charlene

#5: Post by Charlene »

aecletec wrote:My fix is to not brew espresso that tastes of bitterness.

In before flavour-balance bitterness-component people - yes I know bitter substances are in there, but they're balanced out if brewed with specific beans, methods, etc.
I agree with all that, Chris. Additionally, I stir as much of the crema into the shot as I can. I rarely drink any other kind of preparation than straight espresso shots. It's an acquired taste for many but for me it was love at first sip. Probably the setting of that first experience also played a role... unforgettable.

Almico

#6: Post by Almico »

Bitterness, to a large degree, is part of the espresso and coffee experience in general. Without it and you might as well drink hot cocoa.

Bitterness, in balance with sweetness and acidity, is the key for me. I want all 3 to varying degrees depending on my mood.

When I make my cappa in the morning I first circumnavigate the cup rim, slurping up all the bitter crema that surrounds the foam.

Am I the only one? :oops:

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

When I make my cappa in the morning I first circumnavigate the cup rim grabbing up all the bitter crema that surrounds the foam.

Am I the only one?
Nope, you're not.
A while back I did a latte art training and the instructor, after swirling the cup to loosen up the crema did the same thing, in particular to produce a tulip design. I haven't gotten past the rosetta stage yet and ironically I kind of forgot how I previously did the basic "heart". :)
Bert

Advertisement
skimmy

#8: Post by skimmy »

The end of that article: calling mixing in the crema "akin to putting sushi in a blender." :shock: :lol:
Not sure I consider that a fair analogy, but that cracked me up.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I found it interesting that the article references blog posts from 2008, 2009, and 2013.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#10: Post by mivanitsky »

I used to swirl the shot to mix.

Now i stir it with the cute, tiny spoons from EPNW.