Intelligentsia goes to custom brewed coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
djmarc1200

#1: Post by djmarc1200 »

I stopped by the Broadway Intelligentsia store the morning of Dec 31st and happened to witness the first day of custom brew coffee at Intelly. No more urns or pre-brew. Clover, press, chemex, eva solo...and if you didn't want drip you could have had espresso drinks pulled by the current GLRBC champ on a new Synesso. The shop was packed and things were bustling as always.

Here is a Tribune article about the change..hate to see the comments, but we know how foolish the general public usually is - especially when it comes to coffee.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... ntsia.html

Happy 2009 to everyone at HB!

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Good job Intelligentsia. I made a similar move getting rid of Press pot to airpots at my cafe recently breaking in 4 station Beehouse pour-over Thanksgiving day. Overall customer response has been very favorable not minding the couple minute wait to have every cup fresh brewed. Maybe not as impressive (or expensive) as a Clover but gets the job done with quality and flair and in a way a customer can see themselves doing at home too. Still also offer individual press pot to order of course.
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
PeterG

#3: Post by PeterG »

A great move by Intelligentsia. I'm so proud to see coffeebars moving in this direction.

Unfortunately articles like this (and another Tribune article about Intelligentsia eliminating their 20 ounce cup) elicited a dogpile of negative, snide comments by readers who clearly hate coffee. I encourage anyone who loves coffee and supports Intelly's choice here to weigh in on the comments, giving a little more balance to the story. I mean, sheesh, Doug is being compared to the Illinois Governor!

Peter G
counter culture coffee

AndyS

#4: Post by AndyS »

PeterG wrote:I encourage anyone who loves coffee and supports Intelly's choice here to weigh in on the comments, giving a little more balance to the story.
Hi Peter:

Earlier this morning I uploaded a supportive comment, but it hasn't appeared yet. Maybe it never will; when you read the Tribune's comment policy, it says:

"Comments are not posted immediately. We review them first in an effort to remove foul language, commercial messages, irrelevancies, unfair attacks and true insight into what coffee is supposed to taste like."

OK, I'm just kidding about the true insight part. ;-)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

RegulatorJohnson

#5: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

we have been doing this at bevalo since we opened in august 2008. overall customer reaction has been positive. they can have 10 or more choices of coffee, it is brewed for them, and they don't mind waiting for it. it has really educated a lot of people about what coffee can be.

"give me the darkest roast" turns into a conversation on why our coffee isnt roasted dark and how this preserves the subtle flavors of each varietal of coffee.

"give me the one with the most caffeine" becomes another conversation.

these simple questions evolve into "what is a washed coffee?" or "what does dry-process mean?" and "what does relationship coffee mean?" we have transformed some people. it is fun.

we have created loyal customers/friends that look for the new lots or enjoy the descriptions of the flavors. there is a flavor wheel next to where they pick up the coffee, they enjoy looking at it and calling out what they taste.

it has been a great direction for us and our shop.

one other positive note is that we waste very little coffee using this process. not only this cost-effective but by creating the cup when it is requested, ensures the beans that everyone spent so much time and love creating go into a person instead of into a sink.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

RegulatorJohnson wrote:we have created loyal customers/friends that look for the new lots or enjoy the descriptions of the flavors. there is a flavor wheel next to where they pick up the coffee, they enjoy looking at it and calling out what they taste.
jon
Flavor wheel, great idea, thanks! (Not exactly Home-Barista stuff but what the heck, it's about elevating the coffee experience for more people be it espresso or other brewing methods.)
Mike McGinness

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

PeterG wrote:A great move by Intelligentsia. I'm so proud to see coffeebars moving in this direction.

Unfortunately articles like this (and another Tribune article about Intelligentsia eliminating their 20 ounce cup) elicited a dogpile of negative, snide comments by readers who clearly hate coffee. I encourage anyone who loves coffee and supports Intelly's choice here to weigh in on the comments, giving a little more balance to the story. I mean, sheesh, Doug is being compared to the Illinois Governor!

Peter G
Who listens to oddballs posting on the web :P

Thanks for the heads up, lets see if our comments make it through
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

Reading comments can be quite amusing. Imagine, complaining about getting served fresher coffee with a larger selection. Oh, the horror!

I was reading some comments regarding a cold-brewing method, and people were complaining that it took 12 hours.

http://gizmodo.com/5108529/hourglass-co ... ppointment
Scott
LMWDP #248

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

Good move. We have at least two other shops doing this in L.A.: LaMill and Lot 44.
Marshall
Los Angeles

mjbelcher

#10: Post by mjbelcher »

I posted a positive comment on the Tribune website too and it never appeared...maybe we will be stuck with illogical sentiments where accolades are deserved.

In a world where is seems that "fast-food", "fast-coffee", "fast-(insert here)" race to the lowest common denominator, Intelligentsia has taken a risk and placed quality above quantity.

In my opinion, this is the right decision on so many levels - not just for the coffee lover - but socially, economically and logically.

Intelligentsia has taken the lessons learned by corporations such as Starbucks (and even General Motors) and has gone the completely opposite direction.

I am proud of them.
LMWDP #554