Intelligentsia Coffee is for sale (or just raising money)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

[EDITED] There was a press report that Intelli is "for sale," and hoping to go for around $100m. Story here: http://la.eater.com/2015/10/1/9435171/i ... o-new-york. But, a very reliable source tells me they are just raising money for growth, and the reporting is off base.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Shouldn't this be put in the sell/buy forum? :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

SlowRain

#3: Post by SlowRain »

This should surprise no one.

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty replying to SlowRain »

Well, enlighten us then because I'm surprised. I don't follow these things. People sell their businesses for good and bad reasons.. Which one is it?

Intelligentsia has produced top talent in the industry and has a good rep. The industry seems to be booming as far as I can tell, and I think they've got firm footing for immense growth. So, that's one good reason..
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

People have been expecting something like this since they took on the co-CEO a few years ago.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I remember being told in 1995 that they were way better than SBX, and checking out their Broadway store. In 2002, they hosted the first big get together between us on-line coffee posters and a real roaster. Ellie Matuscek was pulling the shots for us.

100 million seems like chicken feed compared to Stumptown or Green Mountain; their influence on coffee has arguably been greater than either.
Jim Schulman

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty replying to another_jim »

stumptown beat them on marketing. maybe the "intelligentsia" concept has maxed out on its appealed audience.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

I don't know this company but $100M is a lot of change in my wallet, I find nothing about their sales or their NPV...not arguing about the price, it's just that it surprised me and I am unable to find anything on yearly sales or stuff that would mean anything to a buyer justifying 100M...'the purchase price could reach 100 million, one of the spokespersons said' is all I found. And that sounds like a salesperson having a wet dream....
LMWDP #483

bluesman

#9: Post by bluesman »

We'd have to see their balance sheet, income statements, and cash flow history to make intelligent observations on valuation. But for comparison, Blue Bottle raised about $70 million this summer in one round, and that kind of capitalization usually means a valuation in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

True, but there is nothing on intelligentsia and that is up for sale...well I'm not investing, not even at a fraction of that amount...it just surprised me that anyone publishing figures would not double check.
LMWDP #483