How many espressos do you prepare each day? - Page 5

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
GreatDane

#41: Post by GreatDane »

I am in tune with Bluecold. I like my single baskets. I pull a Cappo for my wife, and usually 4 shots for myself every time we have espresso. That could be every morning, but it is usually 2-3 times during the week and every Saturday. I love my single baskets with my two levers. I don't have the La Peppina dialed in yet, but I am looking forward to getting my PID done. I will then have ultimate temperature control. When I make a double it is two singles into one cup.

Les
LMWDP #079

cannonfodder
Team HB

#42: Post by cannonfodder »

However many a pound a week will get in my home machine for just me. At work, 5 days a week, between me and two others around 2 pounds a week. Some days that works out to 10 shots a day for everyone, just myself, usually around 4 doubles a day.
Dave Stephens

MachoSilvia

#43: Post by MachoSilvia »

3-6 every morning at least, for me, mum and dad, sometimes one or all of us will have seconds. During the day we may have guests, more during weekends. If the coffee I roast is REALLY good, I will have 3 or 4 a day.

if the batch is particularly bad or stale, and i cant be bothered roasting, ill just feed the coffee to mum and dad and go a week without coffee, just to prove that I can, and am not dependent (mum and dad ARE dependent on coffee, hence their insistence on drinking the stale stuff)
"Join Me, i will teach you the dark side of the force"

az erik

#44: Post by az erik »

I used to be pulling 4 doubles in the morning, plowing through store bought ground coffee. About 20g in the basket per pull (attempting to get a longer than 12 second shot). Now I make 5 - 6 doubles in the morning (got to take a latte to work to continue running) and 2 more double in the afternoon. If I could find a decaf that I liked I'd make at least 1 possibly 2 more pulls in the evening. I would say I go through a lb and a half a week for the two of us.

smillions

#45: Post by smillions »

cafeIKE wrote:An open suggestion for all internet coffee vendors :

Investigate sealable plastic 1/2 pound bags. I'd pay an extra 50p per bag so I can just seal the 1-way valve and chuck in the freezer.
CaffeFresco wrote:Ian's above post got me thinking.

After thinking about it, I suppose Ian is only drinking a small amount of espresso each day, and the post also has me wondering how many espresso or "espressi" does a home-barista consume or produce in an average day? Btw, Ian, how much and what size espresso to you prepare in an average day?
Home being the operative word, I don't think Ian's suggestion will be too far from the norm.
There are a few polls close to this subject matter but nothing about an average daily consumption. The archived polls for single baskets, sink shots and guest espresso gives some insight into consumption and behavior, but it's not exactly.

Do you think the following would be a good poll?

On an average day how much espresso do you prepare, including dial-in or sink shots? For the test of it, I drink the dial-in shots. :roll:
I don't know about a poll question, but it would be a good question for someone who is thinking about buying espresso making equipment. For the first time buyer it is usually paraphrased as "think about your usage habits". Which I thought was more than a bit daft when I was trying to decide what to buy. It was after all my first espresso machine, so I didn't have any "usage habit". I took a wild ass guess and fortunately wasn't too far from the mark.

I figured that I would make myself two or three lattes a day (Mon - Fri) and double that on weekends for myself and my wife. What I have found in reality is that I prefer cappuccinos to lattes and a cappuccinos plus an espresso or americano does me fine most days. What I hadn't anticipated was children returning home who really like Dad's lattes; whether that is due to the price or the quality is up for debate, but for the sake of my ego I will stick with quality. :D

Dial-in and sink shots make up a small fraction, again whether that is skill or lack of discrimination is debatable, so the answer is Mon - Fri 1 to 3 double shots (1 more common then 3 but 2 is by far the norm) 2 to 5 on the weekend. Unless there are kids home, in which case all bets are off.

As an aside, the internet coffee vendor that I have been buying from offers ¼ lbs. bags as samples of different coffees. As much as I like a free sample, I have been trying to convince them to offer a "taster pack" of 4/6/8 ¼ or ½ lbs. bags of coffees from different areas. I couldn't possible finish 6 x 2 lbs. before they went stale. I considered suggesting a neighbourhood coffee tasting club, but most of my friends/neighbours think (know) that I am weird as it is, no point in giving them ammunition. :D