How do you neutralize "perfumed" coffee equipment?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Quadrifoglio

#1: Post by Quadrifoglio »

Recently, it seems that there is about a one in four chance that an item bought in an online auction will smell "perfumed". Sometimes you get lucky and it is only the packaging. Other times, not so lucky.

The latest manual grinder smelled like a combination of dryer sheets and mothballs. These are not things that I would like to taste. "A chocolaty finish with lingering mothballs".

The exterior of the grinder got wiped with Murphy's oil and the interior got wiped with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. It is now baking in a 100-degree (F) garage. I hope the smell dissipates.

Anyone have a secret method for killing the perfume odor? Short of refinishing or hiring the fire restoration folks to ozone it.

godlyone

#2: Post by godlyone »

Coffee is good at eating up odors. Also you can use baking soda

Try grinding through a bunch of junk beans

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Grindz is safe and painless and will "deflavor" a flavored coffee grinder. So it may work for the victims of overenthusiastic cleaning as well. Logically, it should be the first thing you try.
Jim Schulman

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

Agreed. Grindz first, and if that doesn't work (or is only partially successful), you can "re-season" the grinder with some stale beans, and then clean the grinder. Again.
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Quadrifoglio wrote:Anyone have a secret method for killing the perfume odor? Short of refinishing or hiring the fire restoration folks to ozone it.
I got a used Fluke meter that was shipped in an empty baby wipes plastic container. it took a year before the stench went away. it's even worse for us because we have nearly no such scented anything in the house (a can of aerosol ant spray is about it, and using that disgusts me).

Try Nature's Miracle (available at pet stores) for the exterior. Spray on a rag and wipe down the exterior, allow to soak, and then wipe off. Grindz for the grinding path is a good suggestion. Beyond that, it will take a disassembly to destink it.

If it has to sit in the sun for an extended period, I would remove the plastic hopper to keep it from the UV rays..

maybe put it in a large plastic container or bag with an open box of baking soda... ?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done