Host 2011 Exhibition in Milan

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Alan Frew

#1: Post by Alan Frew »

I've just uploaded my impressions and photos of the 2011 Host Exhibition held in Milano 3 weeks ago, here http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/host2011.html. If you think that as Europe goes, so goes espresso, it looks like we're in trouble. Teaser quote below:

"By my admittedly rough count, about one in every two venues offering espresso drinks was using either a Superauto or a pod machine."

Alan

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Pretty depressing report, Alan. In the U.S. all the excitement in the leading-edge shops is about single origins and brew-to-order drip. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Portland next April.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

Well, what would you expect? Rancilio has put sizeable R&D efforts in their temperature-profiling Xcelsius machine without anyone caring. Same with Cimbali that now has linked grinders and machines for more convenience, without anyone giving two shits either.
If the market for traditional machines want to stay traditional, there is no point in making new products. The superauto crowd is wowed with the addition of a $100 touchscreen. Easy math.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."