HB Roadshow - Espresso Tamper Reviews - Page 11

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jesawdy

#101: Post by jesawdy »

rjkramek wrote:I found it interesting that the last several reviews have commented on the height of the piston in regards to the ease of tamping or checking level.
I have come to use the top of the tamper base of my HB Compressore to indicate dose and levelness of the tamp. Mostly by feel and not by sight. Once you get the feel for it, you know if you overdosed, underdosed, or dosed just right. I would expect I would find this as a desirable trait when I get the Roadshow, but I am sure one can adjust their methods of "feel" with anything over time... taller or shorter.
Jeff Sawdy

412Rich

#102: Post by 412Rich »

Worldman wrote:I give my heartfelt thanks to HB and EPNW for this experience. Here in the backwoods which is Pittsburgh, PA I would never have had the chance to try out so many top rated tampers in my home and over several day's time.
Len
You had these tampers for a few days and didn't offer to bring them over?

Actually, only learned about the Road Show from JVS' Barismo blog. We all use the same RB, but we've been thinking about getting custom ones for staff on their 1st anniversary, so would've been nice to play with these.
Crazy Mocha
Pittsburgh, PA

coffeedirtdog

#103: Post by coffeedirtdog »

The leveling thing is important to consider because feel is so much a part of it for any good barista. Especially in the cafe, IMHO it's primo to dose consistency.

TomP10

#104: Post by TomP10 »

rjkramek wrote:Of course while pistons may come in different shapes (i.e., flat, curved) they don't come in different heights, so maybe it's just the luck of the draw when you find the right combination that fits your hand and your basket / dose / machine combination.
Bob:

I think your conjecture is quite interesting. I wonder what other Roadshow participants feel about the piston height. For me, it came as a big surprise. I would have thought I would like the thicker bases -- but I really found the thinner RB just right.

Where does this discussion leave the many non-participants? Mostly frustrated, I guess. Other than those living in a few cities (Portland, Seattle, ?) and other than those who might travel to the SCAA convention, how can most home baristas get a sense of what tamper characteristics/style would be best for them? Most of us can't throw down $45+ repeatedly until we find the ideal tamper.

Does this whole road show experiment provide any clear guide?

- Tom

mogogear

#105: Post by mogogear »

I have to echo those sentiments exactly. I am lucky enough to live in Portland, but let me assure you, I have tried to find an assortment of tampers here so I could go test drive some models to see what my preferences were. To my shock and dismay, there were none to be found. I found the cheap aluminum double ended jobs, a plastic LM plastic model and a Illy red anodized tamper ( that the staff a a well healed cook shop / cooking school could not tell me what size it was??) I found none of these three tampers at the same place.

I was shocked that I could find no such assortment and I put an embarassing amount of time in to the task because I was so perplexed. So, the rest of you that think you are alone, don't feel so. Only until I went up to Seattle and visited with Hal Perry was I blessed with visiting a shop stocked with..... actual prosumer espresso machines on display and many, many tampers!!

So you are singing to the choir when you make your point about how critical feel can be much less seeing what the feel translates into under use. You are also addressing a lot of us that struggle with the "really big equipment" decisions let alone the tactile one of which tamper. It feels so overwhelming. I read a quote recently on a coffee site about the importance of the things that actually come in contact with our bodies "Buy a cheap toilet- get a great seat" :oops: "Increase that importance for a part of our bodies so overly dosed with nerve receptors- like our hands and finger tips."

No wonder we are all so sensitive and have such variance in something so personal. How many pairs of shoes are there??I look forward to getting my turn and so then can safely buy my first real tamper.....

A little hunk of metal can be soooo perplexing!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

espressme

#106: Post by espressme »

Hi Folks,
My 1 Cents worth.
Having made a few custom tampers for clients, I found the length between the knuckle of the second finger and end is significant.
A four inch measurement makes a "RAD" or very tall or fat top style tamper suit well as the pressure is into the palm of the hand. The folks with shorter fingers seem to like the tampers that allow the thumb tip and second joint of the index finger to rest on the piston and apply the pressure there. The diameter of the top seems to be a guide and a bit less important than height.
So :?:
Best to all!
richard /espressme
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Worldman

#107: Post by Worldman »

412Rich wrote:You had these tampers for a few days and didn't offer to bring them over?

Actually, only learned about the Road Show from JVS' Barismo blog. We all use the same RB, but we've been thinking about getting custom ones for staff on their 1st anniversary, so would've been nice to play with these.
LOL!! Rich, I think the Reg Barber was the best tamper in the whole RS...at least for me.

Sorry I never brought the RS over to the bar for yuz guyz to see and try. I was just getting to know you and Mel at the time I had the RS in my hands.

Len

jesawdy

#108: Post by jesawdy »

Well, I just received my new bumper tamper yesterday... very nicely done, Paul.

Paul Pratt's attention to detail is excellent. If you ever buy anything from him, you will see why. The tamper comes in a custom designed box, with "bumper" screen printed on the box, the handle is removed and in the top half of the box, isolated from the piston by cardboard from the custom designed box. The piston is wrapped in thin protective foam and nestled in the Tamper Mat (the black rubber tamper "house"). The crowning touch is a little sticker, no bigger than 1/4" in diameter holding the protective wrap on the piston, also emblazoned "bumper". Nice!

Here is a picture of my current tamper lineup:

Generic solid stainless flat base; bumper Classic convex; EPNW HB Compressore convex

The bumper tamp that I received is new stock... it came with only one handle (previously came with a spare handle) and has a much less convex base.

Compare this picture from cannonfodder's review to my picture:

La Forza, Coffeelab Design, TORR, Compressore, bumper

new bumper convex, Compressore convex

As you can see, the old bumper was the most radically convex, and it is now slightly less convex than the Compressore tamp base.

I was concerned that I would struggle with the thicker piston. I have grown accustomed to using the top edge of the Compressore's piston to the basket edge to gauge basket dose and levelness of tamp. After 60+ shots with the bumper tamp (from my Coffee Christmas Party) over the last 1-1/2 days, I can safely say that I didn't miss a beat with the bumper's thicker tamper piston. Yes, the edge of the piston finishes above the basket's rim, but within 1/8" - 1/4", and I had no trouble laying my finger over that edge and feeling dose level and levelness of tamp. I'll have to post a picture of that when I get a chance.

The balance of the tamper is very good, the finish on the piston is top notch, puck polish is very smooth and easy, basket fit is very good without being overly tight (in a "Synesso" or "LM Ridgeless" basket at least), the laser etching on the piston top is very good looking. The rubber covered handle has a nice feel to it, I think it adds to the comfort of this tamper. The rubber handle does not photograph well in my opinion. In photo's the rubber handle almost has a "cheap" look to it. In person, it looks much much nicer, the seam on the rubber is not really noticeable, and certainly not something you feel. I do not use the bumper tamp to "bump", I stopped tapping the portafilter many months ago. But, if I had to chose between the rubber-covered and the new smooth aluminum handles that Paul also offers, I think I would go for the rubber-covered for comfort of grip alone. My only minor quibble to the rubber handle, is the feel that you get if you get coffee grounds on the rubber handle, but that is something so minor, I hate to even mention it.

The tamper mat, or bumper house, is also very cool. I liked it, but did not think it would be practical in use. Well, I found myself setting the bumper in the mat every single time I set it down.

bumper tamper mat

If you can't tell, I REALLY like this tamper. In my opinion the question is not whether you should consider the bumper tamper, but which handle should you choose!?

Three styles of rubber handles

The new aluminum handles
Jeff Sawdy

cannonfodder
Team HB

#109: Post by cannonfodder »

Who knew Santa drove a big brown truck :D

I like the new Roman column base.

Dave Stephens

Worldman

#110: Post by Worldman »

Jeff,

I remembered the RS Bumper tamper having a pretty radical convex piston...or is my memory faulty? Anyway, the "severe" radicality was one of the things I liked about it.

Len