Has anyone used this 20A "Smart" Outlet to preheat their espresso machine?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cerone

#1: Post by cerone »

I've got a Lucca M58 on the way and I'd like to use it in 20A mode. I found this brand (never heard of it) on Amazon, reviews look good. Has anyone tried this out? Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073J6WWQL/

I have a couple WeMo smart plugs already but they are 15A only. Hoping to be able to use 20A mode and maintain the ability to preheat on demand from my cell phone. Standard 20A appliance timer is fine for the morning, but not on those days where I am out on a walk and want to preheat my machine on the go.

Unless someone has had a terrible experience with this, I'm going to give it a try and report back.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

Joey,

It has mostly excellent reviews, but there are not a lot of them. I like that it goes in the wall rather than plugging in.

Rocky

dmw010

#3: Post by dmw010 »

Oddly, in the Q&A on Amazon, the manufacturer says that it is rated for 16 amps. That shouldn't be the case for a device that accepts a 20 amp plug, should it?

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

It says 20 amp socket, then in the specs it says 15/20 Amps which I assume is supposed to mean it fits both plugs and then he says 16 Amps in answer to a question. I would certainly clarify that before buying it.

Ira

Headala

#5: Post by Headala »

I have no experience about the unit in question. However, I would like to gently ask whether you need the 20A mode if you are preheating remotely...seems like that would be for "I need you hot right now" mode.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

I would be very cautious with this device. One Amazon user reports a melt down and risk of fire. I don't have one to look at, but looking over all the photos, I do not see a UL/CSA approval mark on this. Indeed, I can't see any approval from any standards agency. If it can be shown that this burns your house down you may not have a valid insurance case...dunno...just surmising. I'm no expert on electrical standards for household equipment, but as a retired EET, I am fairly sure that a 2000-Watt device (nominally 16-2/3 Amps maximum) cannot meet the UL/CSA standards with a 20-Amp socket on it. Now, for those of you with espresso machines that draw less than 15-Amps, it might work. But, I would not install one of these without a really close look at one and I'd test the heck out of it on the bench to be sure it can stand the continuous load of an espresso machine coming up to temperature before installing it in my home.

cerone (original poster)

#7: Post by cerone (original poster) »

Thanks for the comments. I haven't had time to do any more research yet but I also found this one which supposedly is rated to 2000 Watts.

Smart WiFi Plug In-Wall wall plate included, No Hub Required, Control your Devices from Anywhere, Works with Alexa,Google Home, Overload Protection prevents damage, 20A, 2000W Max https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072ZBLJPZ/re ... DzbRK2NK1P

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

It looks the same to me. BTW, 20-Amps at a nominal 120-volts is 2400-Watts, not 2000. Neither of these is a proper 20-Amp circuit device. But, it may not matter. If your espresso machine draws less than 2000-Watts, you're good to go. Still, with no apparent standards organisation approval and one report of a melt down, I'd be cautious. If you are handy, put one in a metal electrical box and hook a cord set to it. Put it in an area where any melt-down or flame will not bother, then load it up with 2000-Watts worth of load using a power bar. An electric kettle plus a few incandescent light bulbs is handy for this. A kil-a-Watt device makes setting the loads up very easy. If it survives, then you could install it in place of the duplex receptacle into which you plug your espresso machine, which is probably what you intend. At the risk of beating a dead horse, I urge caution. If this thing in service dies and you are not around to cut the power...just sayin'

redbone

#9: Post by redbone »

One can always add a (GFCI) portable cord set between outlet and machine plug for additional safety.
They're available in lengths as short as 2ft by Leviton and other manufacturers.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

opother

#10: Post by opother »

I wouldn't connect a 20 amp plug to a 15 amp circuit and I would never plug a 20 amp rated device into it. If I did (I wouldn't) I would not want to talk about it since it's against code/law. If you live alone and you know for sure despite it's rating your machine would not draw more current than your house circuit can handle then do so at your own risk.

Possible problems could be insurance claims denied, someone mistaking it for a 20 amp socket (well they actually would not be mistaken) not knowing it's connected to a 15 amp circuit and plugging in a 20 amp device.

Do they make any of these with a standard 15 amp socket configuration? My problem is the ability of this thing to accept 20 amp plugs. I wouldn't like that fact.