Green Coffees for Home Roasting

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Martin

#1: Post by Martin »

I roast coffee in order to achieve the best possible,to-my-taste results. This is not the highest threshold possible for lots of home roasters who seek to replicate (I could say, "chase") roasts of the premier cafes. However, it works for me, and even when roasts are less than fully realized, I find some interest in what seems initially to be an off-roast, and sometimes repeated shots teach me to appreciate some qualities I hadn't expected.

The Coffees forum offers plenty of good thoughts on coffees. But not much is said there about recommended greens for espresso. At least, it's not easy to scan for those recommendations or experiences.

The Roasting forum is largely gear- and process oriented. Not much discussion based on successes, favorite green purchases.

So, I guess this quandary is Knockbox fodder.

Yes, I have a "list" of favorite and generally reliable suppliers, but it's nice to triangulate with H-B ers, when making selections. Some of my favorite greens, including SOs not specifically recommended by the vendors for espresso, have been mentions that I've stumbled on here. Anyone else find them hard to locate? Are such recommendations not realistic, or beyond the "mission" of Home-Barista?
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

if you want to know more about a specific vendor, just ask. I don't think there's much more to it than that, in terms of a discussion.

I like Bodhi Leaf. Reasonably priced, high quality and local. Before that Sweet Marias was my primary go-to. They provide more detailed evaluation of their selections.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Martin (original poster)

#3: Post by Martin (original poster) »

No problem finding quality vendors. I'm looking for specific recommendations from home roasters of green coffees that have impressed them. Along with some reasons for their enthusiasm. And my "complaint" is that folks don't tend to share that information or I don't know where to look. The thread, "what coffee are you drinking that impresses you" (not exact wording) is interesting in a general way, but it takes a lot of searching for little return (again, I'm looking for espresso recommendations.) Several years ago I posted a request for people's "favorite" SOs, and got several responses wondering why anyone would reveal that info just so the coffees would get sold out and they'd be without. Maybe I should try a specifically-worded inquiry again the coffees page.

I also like Bodhi. What are you roasting from them that is particularly impressive. Most recently I tried an espresso blend of theirs that I found less than complex. I don't buy lots of blends, but after 2 lbs of 10oz roasts, I warmed to it a bit more.

One of my go-to coffees is Klatch's Gedeo Worka. I'll frequently blend it with a heavy-body Sumatra (separately roasted.) It's always something of an adventure since the variables are hard to predict. It doesn't take much to tip the balance and character of the blend. The Gedeo Worka can be a brilliant SO if you like zingy fruits now and then, but as I like it roasted, it not a favorite of casual drinkers--requires a darker roast if you want it for cappas.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

The Greens Alert thread was attempting to fill this need, but doesn't get much action. I think one of the challenges is that many of the prized greens are microlots that sell out quickly so a post on the forum may or may not be that helpful.

I rely on the cupping notes for the coffee from the place that I'm going to buy the greens based on my past buying history from them such as Dave at Mill City Coffee Roasters, Larry at Leverhead Coffee, Klatch, Sweet Marias, etc.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Unrooted

#5: Post by Unrooted »

I've noticed that almost every green coffee from Sweet Maria's says it's good for Espresso...

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz replying to Unrooted »

And they are good, too! I routinely get their "New Classic" blend and their "Moka Kadir" blend for espresso, but it's nice to change up with their SO coffees that I use for brewed and espresso.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

jonr

#7: Post by jonr »

I agree, any of Sweet Maria's blends are worth trying.