Green Coffee Beans Diet: Is it safe to grind unroasted coffee? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
entropyembrace

#11: Post by entropyembrace »

I've never seen a civet cat nevermind an overweight one...that sounds like a really weird genetic experiment to me :lol:

Anyway....I wonder if green coffee would taste better brewed with lower temperature water like green tea...most people never seem to taste it and the few that do (like Tom did) use very hot water like they do for roasted coffee. Some of the smells and flavours he identifies in the green and very lightly roasted coffees sound like overextracted green tea.

Also I thought it was interesting how the green coffee is darker than the very, very light pre-first crack roasts...white tea is darker than green tea and green tea has some hot drying and enzyme de-activating phases in it's production while white tea doesn't.

the_trystero

#12: Post by the_trystero »

I steeped whole green beans in water for 2 days. The water turned pale green and tasted faintly of wax.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

RAS

#13: Post by RAS »

Randy G. wrote:Seriously:
- Eat smaller "snack" meals more often throughout the day
- Eat food nature provides
- Avoid artificial ingredients, particularly artificial sweeteners
- Exercise (get a big dog which likes to take long walks)
- Drink good coffee
Spoken like a man who's seen diets come and go. From all I can see, diets don't work - at least they don't work long-term. Long term means lifestyle modification. Do that, and you'll never need to try a diet again.
Bob

mike01

#14: Post by mike01 »

I found the full text of this study a couple days ago and they didn't use ground green coffee beans, instead they used an extract standardized at 45% chlorogenic acid if I recall correctly. I believe they were hypothesizing the chlorogenic acid was responsible for the weight loss. I'm not sure how much green coffee beans you would need to be equivalent to this much of the extract. Either way, I think it's far to early to say this is conclusive as this was a very small study that was not peer reviewed. The results are interesting, though.

Coffee-Cup

#15: Post by Coffee-Cup »

The question that you posted is the same one that has been concerning me for some time. I am presently on the "Green Coffee Bean Diet" and have had remarkable weight loss with it. I now use Robusta green coffee beans ground into nearly a "flour consistency"; it has been great. Normal coffee grinders will not work and even the expensive "Conical Burr" grinders are a flop at this task. After a lot of searching, trying and returning many grinders I found that the expensive "Blendtec Blender" will work; that is what I am using. I simply could not find a cheaper grinder that could do the job. I hope this will be helpful. :)

Bluecold

#16: Post by Bluecold »

You've returned grinders to shops because you tried to use them for tasks they are not designed for? You know that you're a huge money pit to those stores right?

If I were a store I wouldn't honor any warranty. Just as I wouldn't honor warranty to someone who used a hammer drill as a hammer.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Coffee-Cup

#17: Post by Coffee-Cup »

BlueCold! I can understand your frustration with me but I did explain exactly what I was trying to accomplish and I even went to the trouble to explain to them that these beans were very hard. In all instances except one they assured me that their machines would work and if not bring them back and that is exactly what I did. It is interesting that the "one exception" told me that normal coffee grinders would not work and that I would have to get either a "Blendtec or Vitamix Blender" and that is exactly what I did. :roll: