Got a small nespresso kit for my cubicle.. do these machines have a break in period?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jeffg

#1: Post by jeffg »

Seemed like a practical item to buy. I get drowsy at work between 3-5 and it takes me a couple shots to make it through. I just got a cheap Delonghi model. I am a bit perplexed because the shots have a funny taste. I mean they look GREAT, I was surprised at the crema/texture and there are hints of complex flavour there. I am on shot 8 over last 4 days and there is a hint of burnt ashtray coming from the shot. Today I discovered this same smell emanating from the device itself when I put my nose to the pod chamber. I am guessing it is coming from the teflon coated internals out gassing? Is this normal and will it eventually go away? Is there anything I can do to speed this up such as leave the machine on for hours and run water through it every so often.. Or maybe I have a crap machine and a bad purchase decision! :shock:

Here is my machine:

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=nes-3

Thanks

aussietrev

#2: Post by aussietrev »

Perhaps you just need to run a heap of water throught the machine without any coffee in it.

jeffg (original poster)

#3: Post by jeffg (original poster) »

today i let the machine run for about 5 hours and ran through half a tank of water every 15mins or so, i guess time will tell if it gets better..

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

If flushing lots of water doesn't eliminate the funky smell, a pseudo descaling treatment with citric acid / CleanCaf should. Another possibility: Some espresso machine instructions advise running a tankful of water with a small amount of baking soda in it to remove funky remnants.
Dan Kehn

jeffg (original poster)

#5: Post by jeffg (original poster) »

ah that baking soda idea sounds promising, might give that a try first

jeffg (original poster)

#6: Post by jeffg (original poster) »

did the baking soda thing, things are tasting much much better after yesterdays flushing and the baking soda flush. There's nothing like the real thing but this does the trick when i'm at work and need a quick hit.

aussietrev

#7: Post by aussietrev »

Good ta ere mate !