The eternal search for the perfect drinking cup - Page 34

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
RioCruz

#331: Post by RioCruz »

Well now... This thread has proven to be an inspiration...or a curse...depending! :D

I started looking at all the cups I had stored up in the cupboard and wanting something more to do with them than just sitting up there in the dark doing nothing. Soooo...I made a little display box for them, with even more space for more new cups...which I have been happily shopping for over the past several days. Ya never know what's going to happen as a result of reading HB threads!
And this is how the whole coffee corner looks now:
And...I must say (in keeping with the theme of this thread) that of all the cups I have, this one from Mexico is probably my favorite. Hand made and painted, thick fired red clay--which insulates better than porcelain--and handle large enough to accommodate my index finger. A true delight to use!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

DanoM

#332: Post by DanoM »

Wow! I like that coffee corner! The colors alone are enough stimulation that the caffeine won't even be noticed.

Even the door hinges are painted a different color, and yet it all works - at least for me. :)
LMWDP #445

bogiesan

#333: Post by bogiesan »

artbomb wrote:could anyone id this cup for me? thanks in advance and sorry if this kind of request is not acceptable here. Eric
<image>
Macy's at the Boise Towne Center mall had a couple of these Nespresso demitasse on the Nespresso display but only when they had an active salesperson hawking the machines. I got to handle them and I really liked the indented button handle, reminded me of the classic Illy cups, and the embossed logo was beautifully executed with very sharp and distinct line. I wanted to buy at least one cup/saucer set but was informed they were not for sale at retail--demo staff only.

I asked about them again a few weeks ago and was informed all of Nespresso cup/saucer sets had apparently been shoplifted.

RioCruz

#334: Post by RioCruz »

DanoM wrote:Even the door hinges are painted a different color, and yet it all works - at least for me. :)
WOW, Dan...good eye! You can't see it from that photo, but the screws that hold the hinges are a different color, too...like in this photo of the kitchen cabinet hinges:
I'm an artist, so the whole house is sort of an extension of my paintings. :)

DanoM

#335: Post by DanoM »

Wow! Even the screws are color coordinated. Not sure what it is about that coffee corner of yours, but visually I find it wildly exciting.

Did the coffee corner influence the search for the cups? Did the cups influence the corner? Or was it just serendipity? However it happened I really like it!
LMWDP #445

RioCruz

#336: Post by RioCruz »

Thanks, Dan...and I must say...you have EXCELLENT taste! :)

The coffee corner was already the way it is. It just didn't have the display cupboard for all the espresso cups. This thread inspired that and the search for new cups! I thot I had more than enough cups already. Silly me!

I just ordered some new cups from St. John's Coffee Roasters up in Portland http://stjohnscoffee.com/. When they arrive...and I like them as much as I think I will...I'll post some photos here. The guy--Mount Burns--at St. John's was GREAT! Amazing customer service. I don't know what their coffee is like, but I'll definitely pay a visit on my next trip to Portland!

troposcuba

#337: Post by troposcuba »

RioCruz wrote:WOW, Dan...good eye! You can't see it from that photo, but the screws that hold the hinges are a different color, too...like in this photo of the kitchen cabinet hinges:
<image>
I'm an artist, so the whole house is sort of an extension of my paintings. :)
so chicken or the egg question... did the painting inspire the decoration scheme of the room, or did the room inspire you to create the painting on the wall?

Either way, I love it. I also like the Mexican Cup. I have quite a bit of Mexican hand thrown/painted flower pots etc. (I live in Tucson, so go figure). That bright bold color thing kinda grows on you after a while. I will have to start looking for some cool espresso cups like your example to further the collection.
LMWDP #380

RioCruz

#338: Post by RioCruz »

troposcuba wrote:so chicken or the egg question... did the painting inspire the decoration scheme of the room, or did the room inspire you to create the painting on the wall?
Excellent question, Sean! I painted the painting first...then the kitchen to match. From there, it spread thruout the whole house. Ya never know where you'll end up when you start any sort of project! :)

Here's the rest of the kitchen:

troposcuba

#339: Post by troposcuba »

RioCruz wrote:Excellent question, Sean! I painted the painting first...then the kitchen to match. From there, it spread thruout the whole house. Ya never know where you'll end up when you start any sort of project! :)

Here's the rest of the kitchen:
<image>
I am not normally one for bright colors, but that really works for me. I like your idea of living within your art. the tile on the floor kind of reminds me of a place I visited in Vienna one time... http://www.hundertwasser-haus.info/
LMWDP #380

troposcuba

#340: Post by troposcuba »

I know I am flirting with derailing this post. I didn't mean to hijack. To get us back on track, here is a pic of one of the cups I love that I got from Deruta while I lived in Italy. In the background is my 5 speed tamper I made from a hunk of stainless and the shifter ball from my '65 Chevelle.
LMWDP #380