Espresso vs. pourover, which do you reach for day-to-day?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dale_cooper

#1: Post by dale_cooper »

I've recently fallen down the espresso rabbit hole (past 1-2 months) picking up my first espresso machine...

In that period, 9 times out of 10 in the morning before work, I still tend to do my usual zen routine of v60 pourover; either celebrating the potential magic of my home roasted beans, or being frustrated :lol:

Espresso shots seem to be relegated for quick pick me ups in late afternoon on the weekends, or maybe a decaf shot at night. However, most of my shots are getting fairly dialed in now, and they're EXTREMELY satisfying. I've also started using my own roasts, which can be just ok in the v60, but surprisingly REALLYYYY good as espresso. The intensity, flavor clarity, mouthfeel, its mind blowing at times... I really love it. This morning I added 5g of ethiopian beans into the 16g shot of el salvador beans I was about to make, holy cow, the sweet maria cupping notes came alive.

BUT, 2 sips and all the magic is gone, so I end up making brewed coffee much more frequently. I like the peace of sipping on an awesome brewed cup (especially if it's a nailed roast). How many of you tend to drink espresso much more often than brewed coffee? Seems that the people on here with espresso machines are much more skewed towards drinking espresso.

I guess I could make a double shot and my v60 brew every morning, but that's a good bit of caffeine....

Just curious what methods everyone tends to enjoy most frequently

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

Work week: Morning macchiatos for my wife and myself, then a mid-morning cup brewed in my American Press (some impressions in the Brewing forum), and an occasional affogato or decaf in the evening.

Weekends/holidays: Morning macchiatos for my wife and myself, and then a shot or two between mid-morning and noon. For dessert after supper, an affogato's lure is strong. :)
- John

LMWDP # 577

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by RockyIII »

I have never made a single pour over, although I had one once at a café doing a Hario demonstration. It was too smooth for my taste. After spending most of my life using various inexpensive drip coffee makers, for several years I used a so-called stovetop espresso maker, which of course is not really espresso at all, and canned Lavazza coffee. I got my first espresso machine and burr grinder in 2011 and began making cappuccinos and lattes. It wasn't until last year that I started trying a wider variety of beans and drinking more straight espresso shots.

Rocky

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

Weekdays I do a 300mL v60 brew in the morning, and then I'll usually have 2-3 shots from midday through early afternoon. On weekends I branch out more.
LMWDP #435

marlodmb

#5: Post by marlodmb »

Don't drink espresso straight but been making two quad shot Iced lattes a day after work lately.

Have a v60 coming so I'll find out soon

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

My brewed coffee paraphernalia has been gathering dust for awhile now. I start the day with an Americano or latte & then it's straight shots until 6pm when I call it quits.
LMWDP 267

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

Espresso making is a timely venture. With my mon-fri 8 a.m. starts, I fresh grind and use a Bonavita drip machine. Two mugs within 6 minutes start to finish including grinding.
Espresso and Americano are used on weekends and holidays.
On the occasion week nights also.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

100% espresso here. Short tight 5oz cappuccinos every morning: Home or camp. Mid-day its straight espressos or affogatos now and then.

I respect a well brewed cup of coffee; however it just doesn't do it for me.

And with the espresso machines on timers and finally getting a motorized grinder lack of time isn't a factor for morning cappas for me (especially when using the Slayer).
No Espresso = Depresso

Simon345

#9: Post by Simon345 »

Alternate between espresso and other with other including aeropress, plunger etc....

tohenk2

#10: Post by tohenk2 »

redbone wrote:Espresso making is a timely venture. With my mon-fri 8 a.m. starts, I fresh grind and use a Bonavita drip machine. Two mugs within 6 minutes start to finish including grinding.
Espresso and Americano's are used on weekends and holidays.
On the occasion week nights also.
Espresso a timely venture? Ok. If you say so. :shock:

I do an espresso (grinding, cleaning and all) in about 2 minutes. The machine has its own timer and has a good temp when I roll out of bed, and I don't have to fiddle (or not much) with the grinder.